Observations after first trip with Perdix Ai

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WetLens

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Just finished my first dive trip using the Perdix Ai. I've used a Petrel for about 2 years previously and logged over 300 dives on it. I made 16 dives using the Perdix with just shy of 39 hours logged. As you can probably guess, most dives were quite shallow. Here are a few observations:

1. I found the two straps to be more of a hassle with the Perdix than the Petrel. The lighter weight and the spacing between the straps just made them now work out quite as well as with the Petrel. I modified the setup by using one bungee and one strap. I've tried the bungee route previously and did not like it. This modified approach worked great.

2. Batter life was good - 14 dives with 34 hours logged on the battery supplied with the unit.

3. Not a fan of the air supply warnings. I found it ironic that the computer has completely open deco - no warnings, no lockouts - yet puts big letter warning saying you reached reserve and critical air limits. I would really like a way to shut these warnings off as they are totally unnecessary - just show me my air supply and I'll work out what constitutes critical. I'm okay with changing color, but to post warnings that hide my current air pressure is not what I expected out of this level of computer. 400 psi in a 120 cf tank is not the same reserve as 400 psi in a 30 cf stage bottle. Why these arbitrary settings?

4. I was pretty shocked to not find air data in my downloads. Am I missing something? Does anyone else find it odd that an Ai computer would not log and download air data?

Otherwise - loved it. I did make a few offshore dives and it worked great. I dove both computers on these dives and have to say I really like the compact form of the Perdix and the lighter weight.

Are there any plans to add air data to the logged information?

Just finished my first dive trip using the Perdix Ai. I've used a Petrel for about 2 years previously and logged over 300 dives on it. I made 16 dives using the Perdix with just shy of 39 hours logged. As you can probably guess, most dives were quite shallow. Here are a few observations:

1. I found the two straps to be more of a hassle with the Perdix than the Petrel. The lighter weight and the spacing between the straps just made them now work out quite as well as with the Petrel. I modified the setup by using one bungee and one strap. I've tried the bungee route previously and did not like it. This modified approach worked great.

2. Batter life was good - 14 dives with 34 hours logged on the battery supplied with the unit.

3. Not a fan of the air supply warnings. I found it ironic that the computer has completely open deco - no warnings, no lockouts - yet puts big letter warning saying you reached reserve and critical air limits. I would really like a way to shut these warnings off as they are totally unnecessary - just show me my air supply and I'll work out what constitutes critical. I'm okay with changing color, but to post warnings that hide my current air pressure is not what I expected out of this level of computer. 400 psi in a 120 cf tank is not the same reserve as 400 psi in a 30 cf stage bottle. Why these arbitrary settings?

4. I was pretty shocked to not find air data in my downloads. Am I missing something? Does anyone else find it odd that an Ai computer would not log and download air data?

Otherwise - loved it. I did make a few offshore dives and it worked great. I dove both computers on these dives and have to say I really like the compact form of the Perdix and the lighter weight.

Are there any plans to add air data to the logged information?
If the warnings bother you, I believe you can set the reserve pressure much lower than the 700 psi it defaults to (I believe critical is 1/2 the reserve pressure or 300 psi (whichever is greater))? Of course, the color won't change until those lower limits either.

What did you download the Perdix AI log to? Shearwater desktop? Did you update Shearwater Desktop to version 3.0.8 as you need that latest version to support the AI functions of the Perdix AI. You can then mouse-over the Tank 1/2 Pressure line and get that info.

I set the warning as low as I could - 400 psi. The point is that I don't understand why this level of warning - that hides critical information - is necessary. If some people want it, need it, like it, fine. Let them have it, but give me a way to shut this unnecessary clutter off.

Yes, I updated all software before heading out on the trip. I did not see the box at the bottom of the graph that has to be checked in order to see the data. Thanks. Glad the data is there, now, how do I get to it other than having to mouse over the line? I'll ping Sven at Diving Log and see if he has plans to pull this data.

Update: Checked Diving Log 6.0 and Sven has a fix available for download. It worked. I have the data I was looking for.

Last edited:
Wow, disappointing to see that it lacks configuration options. That was something uniquely special about shearwater in the past - everything was configurable without exception. Maybe they'll fix it in an update.

I set the warning as low as I could - 400 psi. The point is that I don't understand why this level of warning - that hides critical information - is necessary. If some people want it, need it, like it, fine. Let them have it, but give me a way to shut this unnecessary clutter off.

I noticed that it has acknowledge on the right side of the warning. When you press the right button your information returns.

Does the Perdix AI have different modes? Maybe the low pressure warning is only in "rec" mode? My Perdix (pre-AI) has Tech and Rec and different info is shown depending on the mode. For example, there is no safety stop in tech mode, since it's expected you're prepared to do whatever deco is actually required.

Yes, I recognized that if I pressed either button I could get back to seeing tank pressure again. That's not the point. As I said in my initial post, I am not a fan of the warnings and would like that "feature" to be optional. I'll manage my air supply, thank you very much.

I've not looked at Tech Mode on the Perdix, but somehow doubt it would be different. Reading through the manual, I do not see differences. Either way, I think it should be user choice.

@WetLens Mention it to @Shearwater support via email. They do a way above average job at listening to their customers. Also, since it's the only non configurable feature, I bet it was an accidental oversight. They may produce a firmware update to fix it.

I feel like you are way over reacting to a warning message that can be dismissed by a single button press in less than a second.

If tank pressure gets within 150 psi of ambient (water pressure) most regulators will become hard to draw air regardless of tank size. On a 140' dive that would happen at a little below 300 psi.

I doubt the 400 psi warning was arbitrary.

Back
Top Bottom