Oahu/Honolulu dive shop recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dogbowl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Does anyone have recommendations for a reputable dive shop in Oahu? I'd prefer that it isn't a cattle boat that takes a lot of discover scuba divers on a tight schedule. I'd prefer something a bit more intimate, and a bit more relaxed, if at all possible. I know Kaimana Divers and Hawaiian Diving Adventures are highly recommended here, but it looks like they're in/near Waikiki and cater to a lot of first-timers. And I saw that they fill their boats to 20+ divers. I'm trying to get my sister certified and I want it to be a fun and relaxing experience, not a chaotic, rushed and stressful experience. She is, after all, a potential future buddy and I want her to succeed!

Sorry, it looks like I've developed into a scuba snob, oh my! I was just a beginner not too long ago...geesh.

Thank you.

I like Island Divers...i have about 100 dives with them. They are up near Hawaii Kai. Kamaina Divers does smaller but if money isn't an issue I would go with them.

When are you going? Holiday season bookings are getting full.

Forgot to mention, there are some easy shore dives if you know anyone there. Great for Nudis and dolphins and turtles oh my.

Forgot to mention, there are some easy shore dives if you know anyone there. Great for Nudis and dolphins and turtles oh my.

Great, thanks!

I dove with two operators in July when I was there for a few days. The first I won’t mention...

On the second day, I dove with Justin who owns Aloha Scuba. he keeps his boat docked near Waikiki and is very convenient. I think I was one of only 6 divers on the boat. I had a great time, and plan to go back ASAP!

There is a honolulu diver's club. These clubs go off the beaten path but keep the prices down. I keep chiming in because I miss diving there. Some of best experiences, even had a humpback come up to us while on a deep dive. Just saying.

Honolulu Dive Club

It seems like you're asking for totally different things - you don't want a dive shop that caters to new divers, yet you want to get your sister certified?

For getting certified: Honolulu Scuba Company / Island Divers (same company) is one of the few shops with access to a pool. I personally feel that removing variables (ocean conditions) from the learning experience allows for more focus on the covered topics.

Honolulu Dive Club - there's no price but you need to provide (rent) your own gear, tank, and weights. We have a 'club dive' the third Saturday of every month, and there are smaller groups of us that meet on weekends. We have a page on Facebook and Meetup where people can post messages. There are also club members who are instructors, so if you want to do a 1-on-1 or maybe a small group learning experience for your sister (from the shore), that is an option.

For dive shops: I particularly like Island Divers and Honolulu Scuba Company. They aren't small boats but they manage the groups well (maybe 2 groups of 8 max). I like them because they are the most hands-off and allow for the longest dives that I've experienced. But I also accidentally booked a 2-tank shallow dive once and was very impressed with how they handled the group of newer divers. For a new diver (your sister) I would dive with Honolulu Scuba Co. Island Divers is out of Hawaii Kai and they do more drift and deep dives.

Most of the dive shops will have a 2-tank reef dive (shallow) boat. If your sister is going to be a brand new diver I strongly recommend that option. That will give you casual, relaxed diving. The 2-tank wreck/reef dives will have one deep wreck dive and are technically advanced dives (most will be beyond 60ft).

Reactions: CCS
Thanks for all the suggestions. I looked up those shops and they’re definitely on the shortlist.

Our plans have changed somewhat. Looks like my sister has decided not to certify on this trip, although she might still do an easy discover dive at Hanauma Bay if that’s possible. We now have another certified but newer diver coming with us so that again complicates things a bit. Maybe I should not be so concerned about trying to find the best possible diving experience for them, although for some reason I feel responsible? Anyhoo...

Anyone have any thoughts/experience with Living Ocean Scuba? Some things that piqued my interest in this shop are:
  • They offer shore dives in Hanauma Bay (what we want to do)
  • They have 1 guide/instructor for every 4 divers (sounds good, especially for the newer diver in our group)
  • They have a free shuttle (so the others in our group can use the rental car when we’re diving)
  • They own their own boat (always better than sharing someone else’s boat)
So, what do you think?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom