Oahu Checkout dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wijbrandus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm just curious, but where do people in Waikiki do their checkout dives?

I'm arranging a dive trip this winter, and I'd like to avoid the new diver zone, or at least be aware of what I'm in for when I get there.

Nothing against new divers, but those sites aren't usually known as the best places to dive for sight-seeing. :)

ko-ko crater, kewalo pipe

you probably want to do our wrecks

I'm a huge wreck buff. Thanks for some names to avoid, if I have any influence with the dive op (AAA).

Wow! I didn't know you had to be a pro to see great dive sites? :confused:
I'm still a new diver and I "thought" most of dives I've been on were pretty magnificent and beautiful sites. What have I been missing?? :wink:

I personally don't know what to tell you about Waikiki. I'll let the local experts comment on that.

Wijbrandus:
I'm a huge wreck buff. Thanks for some names to avoid, if I have any influence with the dive op (AAA).

tell Capt Chris and Alex I said to give you the best!

nice boat they have, BTW.

On Sundays I think they do three deep wrecks..ask about that if you are up to it.
he has some sharky sites as well...Sea Mound I think, 100 ft hole. bring a SMB, you are close to Pearl Harbor.

Well I would say...it all depends. The boat operators try not to go to a dive site that is already occupied, has bad vis or poor conditions. They also split up the groups. If there is a beginner/student in one of the groups they will most likely be staying shallow and won't be going where you are going. The guides dive the sites often enough to make sure you have an interesting dive.

I used to say that Kaiser Reef is the worst site on the South shore (Waikiki) - perfect for students, but I don't say that anymore. We dove it and found - among other things: eagle rays, a sting ray, 5 green Hawaiian lion fish, an octopus eating a peocock flounder and the dolphins swam with us....awesome!

I personally love diving the pipe, pretty much the only place for you to find a dragon moray....Roger said they even found cuttle fish there yesterday (I've seen them there once).

Trust your dive op, they will show you a good time :wink:

calscubagirl:
Wow! I didn't know you had to be a pro to see great dive sites? :confused:
I'm still a new diver and I "thought" most of dives I've been on were pretty magnificent and beautiful sites. What have I been missing?? :wink:

I personally don't know what to tell you about Waikiki. I'll let the local experts comment on that.

After having dove with you I'd say you'd do great on all our Waikiki sites :D

Well thank you Lisa! :D I appreciate the compliment.

I was just kidding with the OP.:)

But, now my curiousity is wanting me to ask. What's up with Waikiki sites?

The only shore diving I've done on Oahu is E beach and the Trench.....so far.

Not much shore diving on the south shore. E beach is fair at best and high risk for getting ripped off while your under and the pipe is a surface swim from heck sometimes. Thats about it. There was one more I did but I don't rember much about it so that says something.

justleesa:
I used to say that Kaiser Reef is the worst site on the South shore (Waikiki) - perfect for students, but I don't say that anymore. We dove it and found - among other things: eagle rays, a sting ray, 5 green Hawaiian lion fish, an octopus eating a peocock flounder and the dolphins swam with us....awesome!

I personally love diving the pipe, pretty much the only place for you to find a dragon moray....Roger said they even found cuttle fish there yesterday (I've seen them there once).

Trust your dive op, they will show you a good time :wink:

Yet more proof that all the good stuff happens after I leave...

Back
Top Bottom