O2 Tank Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stone

Contributor
Reaction score
We live in Valparaiso, FL and dive out of Destin,
My wife and I saw a medical O2 tank on the side of the road. We asked the lady if it worked (YES), and was she throwing it away (she had already thrown it way, but the garbage men wouldn't take it) . . . I now own an O2 tank that looks like the one "Mr Raines" wheels around on "Pretender."

My question: Are medical O2 tanks VIP'd and hydro'd, and if so, on what schedule?

Thanks!

Originally posted by Stone
My question: Are medical O2 tanks VIP'd and hydro'd, and if so, on what schedule?
No VIP.... that is dive shop stuff.
Hydro is every 5 years and your local gas supplier will tell you when the next one is due. You might run into difficulty in some areas getting a fill without a prescription since USP O2 is a regulated drug.... however ABO doesn't require a prescription, is purer and has lower moisture content.

Thanks UP,

Fortunately, I have a Medical Supply store (almost around the corner) that will provide fills if you flash your C-card.

Follow up question (since the LDS is closed): If an outfit does scuba tank hydros, can one assume they also do hydros on O2 clean tanks (and return them O2 clean)?

Get your hydros done at the local fire extinguisher service shop. You will get it cheaper and probably by the same person that the LDS has it done by. The hydro test involves filling the tank with water and pressurizing it.... not to worry about O2 clean.

Back
Top Bottom