O2 cleaning haskel a-60 booster

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well worth doing your homework because I've seen the aftermath of 3 that have blown up due to oxygen combustion.

Is your haskel rated for oxygen to begin with? My understanding is there are models designed for inert gas and oxygen service model.

My suggestion is talk to people who use them continuously for oxygen service and see if they have any hints or suggestions. PM me and I'd be happy to give you some names to contact,but since this is DEMA time the response may be slow.

My suggestion it to add the O2 first straight from an 3 T O2 cascade, then just lift the He. Funny how thngs become simplier, safer and cheaper when you stop thinking about lifting O2. For what you save by not O2 cleaning the Haskel, you can probably pay for the cascade.

Roak

roakey:
My suggestion it to add the O2 first straight from an 3 T O2 cascade, then just lift the He. Funny how thngs become simplier, safer and cheaper when you stop thinking about lifting O2. For what you save by not O2 cleaning the Haskel, you can probably pay for the cascade.

Roak

Assuming they weren't filling 3000 psig O2 cylinders,topping breather bottles......

karstdvr:
Assuming they weren't filling 3000 psig O2 cylinders,topping breather bottles......
Who says you need to fill an AL40, for instance? Yes, if you have breather bottles maybe you've got an issue, but I always topped off my AL40 when a new T came in, and never got hung up on it having to be absolutely full.

Roak

roakey:
Who says you need to fill an AL40, for instance? Yes, if you have breather bottles maybe you've got an issue, but I always topped off my AL40 when a new T came in, and never got hung up on it having to be absolutely full.

Roak

You are lucky if you get a T cylinder at 3000psig,most places deliver them around 2400-2600 psig,your's is the exception not the rule. The reason St72s and 46s have fallen out of vogue because haskel boosters are more common,and a 3000 psig fill is easily obtained. If somebody is content with having a partial fill al40,then they need to catch the T cylinders when they first come in to get as much pressure as possible. Pumping oxygen to 3000 psig with a booster pump can be done safely,but would ask the experts in the field who do it day in and day out,and that is what I passed along to Meister481

I'm going to make that call monday. There are a few tech divers here in town that are pooling resources to enable us to get the services we require without traveling out of town. There is no shop here that will fill mix, argon or O2 bottles. I have to travel over an hour one way to get these services. It's amazing what you can get done if you pool resources.

Hang in there Meister. The "60" is a fairly slow pumper unless you have high source pressure. Probably excellent for jacking a rebreather bottle. I wouldn't look at this as black magic. I haven't cleaned and prepped a booster but I own an oxygen certed AGT 15/30 and have the manuals and some experience in using it. I say it is an "oxygen" booster but is actually a generic Haskel that has been prepped by a Haskel technician. No problems with it at all. The "cleaning" part comes into play because some used boosters have been driven with dirty air and there is a concern that a bit of oil or crud may have migrated past the rings into the gas cylinder. The gas cylinder in particular needs to be cleaned. Also, do the drive cylinder and there may be one or more small parts to replace for O2 service. Haskel could advise. Haskel boosters are all very similar and all use the crucial double piston teflon seals. The simpler way to handle this would be to ask Haskel what parts to replace. A phone call or two will get the parts numbers. As for cleaning the barrels, pistons and small parts for oxygen service, I prefer a solvent made for this purpose. It is called ENSOLV. I use the stuff to clean tanks, regulators, compressors, valves, etc. Good luck, it should be fun if you go about it the right way. Many have gone before so have confidence. Make sure you get a pressure relief valve and teflon lined, jacketed high pressure line, correct gauges and flow valves, brass or stainless. If you drive the booster with a HP tank and regulator you will also need a relief for that side to avoid damaging the booster in case of regulator failure.

karstdvr:
You are lucky if you get a T cylinder at 3000psig,most places deliver them around 2400-2600 psig,your's is the exception not the rule.
You misunderstood. My Ts come in about 2400. When I put a new one in the cascade I can fill my AL40 to about 2000-2200. So I get about 26cf of O2. That's well over 30 min of deco at 20ft.

My point is, ask yourself if the time, effort, money and especially the risk is worth an absolutely chock full cylinder? Do you absolutely NEED a full O2 cylinder?

Roak

Contact Jim Herbert, Osprey charters, in NY. He has experience cleaning these units. You can get more info on how to contact him from his web site.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom