O2 clean tool

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NWA7265

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
How do you guys clean tools to be used with your o2 clean regs? I need a Hex key socket for the DIN part of the reg. Also for valves that are being o2 cleaned and rebuilt.

Thanks

acetone

Since the tool won't see high pressure o2, it just needs to not have contaminants on it.

Scrub them with some dishwashing detergent in hot water to get any oils off, make sure you rinse well, then maybe something like acetone would work. If you just have a couple tools, it's probably worth having specific ones for O2 use.

Don't share them with your car tools!

I have dedicated tools for doing regs and before I start a reassembly I clean the tools in simple green then rinse and wipe dry.

I have dedicated tools for reg service and treat all regs as possibly being used for O2 service. Simplifies the process and maintains consistency. You only need to clean the tools well once when you get them. Keep them dry and separated from other tools. Wipe down with microfiber or other cloth that will not leave fibers on them. If you feel you need to, keep them in a ziplock bag. I don't. They just stay in a drawer on my service bench. Unless you are dipping your tools in motor oil, you don't need to O2 clean them. Just keep them wiped down and dry so they don't rust.

Thanks everyone for the info I planned on buying new tools for reg/valve servicing so when I get them I’ll give them a good scrub down and then keep them in a clean place for use. Thanks!

Some of mine got damp and slightly rusty. No oil contimination.
Clean off rust with clean rags then Simple Green wash and rinse.
Thoughts? AFAIK rust (apart from being unsightly) isnt a risk in high O2 environments?

How do you keep your regs O2 clean the second it leaves your AS9100 / ISO Certified Class 7 clean room where you use your ASTM G127 compliant cleaning agents and then you man handle the din portion with your hands that gets screwed into the valve of a tank that was sitting in some random compressor room while it was being filled being exposed to all kinds of particulates then getting some random whip screwed into it that who know when that thing was last cleaned to fill it.

Mate I think your taking this o2 cleaning to the extreme end of the spectrum if your trying to figure out how to o2 clean your tools. Yeah don't use some rusty tool you found in the bottom of your tool box that is covered in WD-40 but if you just use regular normal tools it will be fine. Don't worry you are not going to blow up.

Find me a case report of someone blowing up due to diving equipment not being o2 clean.

Basically my point is your regs and valve are not o2 clean the second they leave an o2 clean room. Unless your o2 cleaning your valve and reg after every use and assembling it in a clean room, pressurizing it then taking it for your dive. Think about it the DIN O-ring and mating surface are the largest high pressure surface areas in the whole system and they are constantly exposed to foreign elements especially the valve.

How do you keep your regs O2 clean the second it leaves your AS9100 / ISO Certified Class 7 clean room where you use your ASTM G127 compliant cleaning agents and then you man handle the din portion with your hands that gets screwed into the valve of a tank that was sitting in some random compressor room while it was being filled being exposed to all kinds of particulates then getting some random whip screwed into it that who know when that thing was last cleaned to fill it.

Mate I think your taking this o2 cleaning to the extreme end of the spectrum if your trying to figure out how to o2 clean your tools. Yeah don't use some rusty tool you found in the bottom of your tool box that is covered in WD-40 but if you just use regular normal tools it will be fine. Don't worry you are not going to blow up.

Find me a case report of someone blowing up due to diving equipment not being o2 clean.

Basically my point is your regs and valve are not o2 clean the second they leave an o2 clean room. Unless your o2 cleaning your valve and reg after every use and assembling it in a clean room, pressurizing it then taking it for your dive. Think about it the DIN O-ring and mating surface are the largest high pressure surface areas in the whole system and they are constantly exposed to foreign elements especially the valve.

>>Mate I think your taking this o2 cleaning to the extreme end of the spectrum if your trying to figure out how to o2 clean your tools.
Agreed!

Yep - I leep stuff 'clean' - ie not dripping with old engine oil........but it ain't 'NASA clean'....which is what some seem to be suggesting....and yes, I have often had the same though about the DIN oring - thats where all those clean bits are exposed to the outside world (ugh)

Back
Top Bottom