O-Rings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mm777

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My OW course didn't cover much on equipment rinsing/maintenance.

What basic info does this newcomer need to know about o-rings?
Where are the most common ones located and are they all different sizes?
If so, how do I go about purchasing spares (with no local dive shop in town).

~

Know which O-rings need silicone and which dont. If your unsure just ask.I never put silicone on my tank o-rings and I put a very light coat on flashlight o-rings. As a beginner you should not have to mess with too many o-rings.

mm777,

You can pick up a box of spare o-rings pretty cheaply online. Try Larry there above. You can get a box of them for under $10 usually and it will contain a variety of sizes. You should always have a couple of spares on you, even if you only rent your tanks. You never know when you'll need one and it's a real damper on your day if you don't have a spare.

J75

Don't put silicone on tank O-rings or O-rings where hoses connect to your first stage. An O-ring that's lubed up will collect dirt and debris and move easily.. so if you don't want that, don't use lubrication :)

It’s a good idea to always carry a couple of spare o-rings: you'll be surprised how many tanks you hire will have worn out ones. Inspect the o-rings for cracks/tears and if present test them by connecting the 1st stage, and turning on the air. A bit of water on the seal will show any leaks.

The best tool I’ve found for extracting a leaking O ring from a tank valve is a mini dental pick found in most drug stores. They are only 4-5 cm long and the hook is covered when not in use. (others appear to enjoy popping O-rings by partially loosening the tank valve and turning on the air…). In a pinch turning the old o-ring over and reseating will fix the leak. Yolk tank valves take size 2-014 o-rings.

Cheers,
Rohan.

Can I use Danco's o-ring that is sold at Lowes or Home Depot? Or do I have to use the specific branded o-ring? LDS used to charge $1 per ring. It is too much I think.

hoosier:
Can I use Danco's o-ring that is sold at Lowes or Home Depot? Or do I have to use the specific branded o-ring? LDS used to charge $1 per ring. It is too much I think.

Hi there Hoosier -

I guess if you took an O ring in to Home Depot and found once that matched it in terms of diameter, width and, just as importantly, compressibility, then you should be fine. I’ve got no idea how durable they would be compared to branded ones (when dealing with high pressure, repeated compression, UV light and salt water) and there’s the question of compatibility if you use anything other than air. I’d guess if you got ones with the same compositon you could stock up with a life times supply quite cheaply.

Personally I just buy the branded ones from my LDS. Most online dive stores sell 20 for around $ 3-$ 5 (or considerably more for nitox/o2 compatible) - that would be enough for a couple of years of using rental tanks (I’d say 1:10 TO 1:20 had dodgy O-rings). Compared to how much I spend on diving gear and diving holidays its small change.

Cheers,
Rohan.

Tassie_Rohan:
...(or considerably more for nitox/o2 compatible) ...

Ordinary O rings are fine for EAN & O2, the Viton ones just last longer. Don't pay extra, it just makes the LDS more money!

Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom