O-rings???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buoyant1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
No..not how to make them! (pour hot molten rubber into a...)

This may or may not be the best place to post this..if not, I won't be insulted if it's moved...

ANYWAY...

What's a good resource to get O-rings? Most of the dive shops seem to sell them for around .50..there has to be a good resource for buying in bulk...

Anyone?

Buoyant1:

This may or may not be the best place to post this..if not, I won't be insulted if it's moved...

ANYWAY...

What's a good resource to get O-rings? Most of the dive shops seem to sell them for around .50..there has to be a good resource for buying in bulk...

Anyone?
www.allorings.com
www.marcorubber.com

I buy mine from a local hydraulic supplier. I pay about .10 each and I only buy 6-8 at a time - for a video housing. As long as you know the AS568A-dash # and material you want.

Thanks for the links..I'll check them out

Buoyant1:

ANYWAY...

Anyone?

www.mcmastercarr.com has them although there may be a minimum order and shipping costs if you do not live near one of their warehouses. Usually $3-$5 for a package of 100 o-rings, although it depends on size. You need to know the section thickness and diameter. If you are not sure on the part number check out the online catalog from Parker who manufactures o-rings. I assume for most scuba applications the rubber is Buna-N, a nitrile rubber.

How about o-rings for Nitrox tanks. They have to be silicone, right?????? Please let me know. Also, can you give me the measurements I need to order them online. I think $3-$5 for a hundred rings is not that bad. We have 8 tanks and looking to get more. To me that is a bargain, considering my LDS charges $1.00 per "O2 silicone 0-ring".

murphdivers286:
How about o-rings for Nitrox tanks. They have to be silicone, right?????? Please let me know. Also, can you give me the measurements I need to order them online. I think $3-$5 for a hundred rings is not that bad. We have 8 tanks and looking to get more. To me that is a bargain, considering my LDS charges $1.00 per "O2 silicone 0-ring".

Good point about oxygen service. The Diverite website says viton rubber is prefered for nitrox: http://www.diveriteexpress.com/hardware/orings.shtml Viton is a flourinated rubber, not a silicone.

McMaster.com has them for less than a third of what your LDS charges, but they may not take an order for less than $50 and will charge shipping. So it may not be worth it unless you need more than 25-50 o-rings.

Buna is used for regular compressed air, but not for oxygen enriched air. I have used those in my DIN connection for couple years and they seem to work OK. And I can get them at my local hardware store.

I would second the McMaster Carr vote of confidence. They don't have an order minimum, but they also don't like selling to non-businesses. So make up a company name for yourself and order over the internet with a CC. Mostly they will sell you 10, 50, or 100 pieces of a single size.

Also look at them for stainless clips, rings for slates, and any other crazy piece of stainless hardware you can think of. They also have crazy brass and bronze hardware if you want to save a few bucks. The online catalog is not bad, but if you don't have the name exact you may have to let your fingers do the walking.

Almost every common scuba o-ring is an AS-568B standard o-Ring. They are all numbered as dash something like -008 or -007..... google the one you are looking for.

You can also look at www.applerubber.com for the standard sizes and any off the wall sizes you may want. They have an order minimum (I think $100) but if you need a crazy size they may be cheaper than the MFG's kit.

Stay away from Buna for Enriched Air, it is petroleum based polymer. Silicone tends to seal well, but is softer and has a shorter life. Viton has longer life, but is a little harder and you need clean surfaces for it to work well.

PSI sells tank O-rings on there site for tank necks. They are 90 durometer and McMaster seems to only sell 70. Which one is best for tanks the 70 or 90?

Back
Top Bottom