O-rings substitute?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hory

Contributor
Reaction score
Each aqua camera or housing has got its own manufacturer's specified o-rings. Am wondering if o-rings that meet the size and thickness of the manufacturer's specs will do. Anyone tried using say automotive o-rings in their housings instead of the manufacturers'?

Best,
HOry

Hory once bubbled...
Each aqua camera or housing has got its own manufacturer's specified o-rings. Am wondering if o-rings that meet the size and thickness of the manufacturer's specs will do. Anyone tried using say automotive o-rings in their housings instead of the manufacturers'?

Best,
HOry
When removed from the housing, are the o-rings round (ie, donut), or shaped?

If shapped, then you're prolly stuck with propriatary and just ignore the following.

If round then all you need are four things. The elastomer (what kind of rubber), the thickness of the oring, the ID, and the durometer (how hard it is)

You're just going to have to know the elastomer. Ask around on what works best. The ID and the durometer will be VERY tricky to measure. We have a cone we drop the oring onto that shows what the ID is, but you're on your own when it comes to measureing the duro.

My advise would be to take the oring to the local seals/oring store (we have a couple in town) and ask for 2 more just like it. They would have everything they need to measure the oring. Take the housing with you to check for fit. Shouldn't cost but a few bucks.

Good luck,
DL

DL,

Thanks for the advise. Didn't realize that there's a simple instrument (is it simple?) that can measure the elastomer of o-rings. As for the gel, will regular sealant do? Meaning, the same sealant use for o-rings for flashlights and the first stage?

Best,
Hory

It depends what the O-ring is made of. Some materials will disentigrate (sp?) with the wrong type of silicone grease. I know of one pro who has been using the SeaLife™ silicone grease on everything...this is the stuff you can buy in Dive shops, I think Trident puts it out, in the 2oz. jars.

Hory once bubbled...
DL,

Thanks for the advise. Didn't realize that there's a simple instrument (is it simple?) that can measure the elastomer of o-rings. As for the gel, will regular sealant do? Meaning, the same sealant use for o-rings for flashlights and the first stage?
Uh... Not sure I communicated well. Let me try again.

Elastomer - This would be the type of 'rubber'. For instance, Fluorocarbon, Nitrile, Neoprene, Silicon, etc.

Durometer - How hard/soft the Elastomer is.

The measuring device I mentioned was for measuring the ID, not the elastomer.

The 'gel' (I assume you mean the lubricant) would depend on the elastomer you choose. I'd try to find out what oring elastomer was originally supplied in the housing and stick to the mfgr's reccomendations for it. You'd hate to get a lubricant that works for your new oring, only to find out later it melts the housing...

DL

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom