O-ring type use on underwater housings?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buton

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi Guys

Do you know which kind of o-ring(material) is used for underwater housing?

-Viton
-silicon
-neoprene
-soft buna
-polyurathane
-kalrez?

From what I've read, different manufacturers use different o-ring materials. The answer may very well be yes, to all of the above.

Agreed. Hence, the critical importance of only using the o-ring lubricant recommended by the particular housing manufacturer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

You can cross "Kalrez" off the list. Otherwise what are usually just overpriced o-rings, would be insanely overpriced o-rings.

Oly uses silicon rings. That being said, Oly no longer makes rings for my housing and I have been using buna rings without a problem.

It is quite true that different o-rings have different tolerances for which lubricants to use, but there are a couple of lubricants that are useful for all types of o-rings. Tribolube and Christolube are OK for all of the o-rings on modern cameras.
Bill

If it's a large diameter o-ring- like the main "door", I would look for the softest material (lowest durometer), and work from there. Some of the materials listed are not available in anything close to the softness of the OEM o-rings I've seen.
McMaster Carr is a good source of info and parts to start. Eriks has it all...

If it's a large diameter o-ring- like the main "door", I would look for the softest material (lowest durometer), and work from there. Some of the materials listed are not available in anything close to the softness of the OEM o-rings I've seen.
McMaster Carr is a good source of info and parts to start. Eriks has it all...

actually was looking at mcMaster Carr to buy some and test them on the diveduino

Back
Top Bottom