O-ring size for ball joint aluminum arms

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Luis H

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I would like to know the O-ring size and preferred O-ring type (material and durometer) used on the aluminum arm ball joints with clamps.

I have Kraken aluminum arms with ball joints, but I would think they are interchangeable. I have heard them referred to as 1” standard ball mount. Is that correct?

Thanks

From Ultralights web page;

The o-rings in the balls of the adapters will last one to two years if not left out in the hot sun all the time. They will crack, but this will not affect the clamping ability of the clamp. They should be changed when they are cracked, hard or the arms do not seem to be holding as well as when new. They can be difficult to remove. Squeeze with thumb and forefinger and push to one side, this should give you a small amount of rubber to then roll over the ball. To replace them, go to any plumbing shop and purchase "BUNA O-Ring, Size 2-209." If you can not locate o-rings at a plumbing store then your local hardware store, Lowes, Home Depot, ACE, OSH sell them in one-packs from Danco # 95. (The size is 15/16 X 11/16 x 1/8). Take the o-ring and stretch it over the ball and into the groove. If you lose the o-ring while on a dive the clamp will still work; but you will have to tighten it a little extra since the o-ring is gone. ULCS sells them in packs of 25.

2-209

Get the Buna-n (cheap) one.....other materials don't provide sufficient friction.

2-209

Get the Buna-n (cheap) one.....other materials don't provide sufficient friction.
In my hands at least the harder silicone ones actually grip better than the BUNA ones. I have been using either the McMaster silicone ones or the blue Inon ones.

Bill

In my hands at least the harder silicone ones actually grip better than the BUNA ones. I have been using either the McMaster silicone ones or the blue Inon ones.

Bill
Interesting. My orange ones are kind of slippery. I have to really crank down the clams. But....they are supposedly Buna! I thought all Buna were black.

The blue Nauticam ones on my arms have been going for around 4 years and still look like new as do the Orange INON ones - they grip pretty well, all seem to be silicone which seems to last longer than the black o-rings.

Back
Top Bottom