O-Ring Material Question ????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jhines18

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have about 5 o-rings that I want to buy back ups for. Besides being priced really high, I am finding them difficult to find. A large o-ring manufacturer said they could duplicate them without a problem if I can tell them what the pressure and temperature requirements are or what material it should be made of. I assume this stuff is pretty standard and probably the same for all the o-rings, but I can't seem to find it. Does anyone happen to know some or all of this info. Much appreciated. Jarrett

I would contact the manufacture of your housing, and ask them. You could also ask the folks you are discussing this with if you can provide them an oring for analysis.

My orings are blue, and black! That must mean something! :rofl3:

..............My orings are blue, and black! That must mean something! :rofl3:

Sounds like you have been beating the crap out of them Ron.

Not sure what the material of my Oly Orings are but they appear to be silicone and somewhere in the 40-60 durameter hardness (poorly calibrated finger test). I would think nitrile orings of 50ish durameter would do fine.
I would think the hardness is likely the most important consideration other than size and any Oring shop can determine that with a simple test. As for temp and pressure that is fairly easy....30 to 150 deg F and a max pressure of 150 psi (I am assuming your not diving any deeper than 330 ft :) ) should cover any diving you might do.

Back
Top Bottom