O-Ring Maintenance - Don't Overdo It

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jcclink

Contributor
Reaction score
One can actually over due o-ring maintenance. If it isn't broke, don't fix it. Everytime the main o-rings are removed there is a chance (ok - maybe small) that something may be overlooked during the reinstallation. If the visible sealling surface is clean, the o-ring doesn't have to be removed all that often. I'm using my Gates video housing as a basis because I just got my PT-015. Used the last Gates over 6 yrs without a single problem. It also uses a silicon main o-ring face seal. Cleaned as required each time the housing was opened. Only removed if really necessary to clean. Scheduled removal & reinstall after a trip. It could have had 30-40 dives on it at that point. I know Oly gives you "special grease" for the red o-rings. All they really need is a little moisture (read spit). Too much grease of any type will ruin them. The last 25 yrs of my job had to do with u/w housings & o-rings. Super few problems using this approach.
P.S. They may actually stretch more if you grease them - they become more pliable & stretch easier.

Back
Top Bottom