O.K. to Dive AFTER Flying?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Check out this site

The DAN site is good advice. You need to be focussed when you dive. Still a 4 hour flight should not be a problem provided you stay off the duty free.

Hay Kaffphine,

I checked out your link to DAN. While I am a member and highly respect DAN I wonder if this isn't just one of those CYA things.

Think about this for just a second. Provided you stay well hydrated during the flight, and by that I mean water, stay away from the booze and snooze for awhile during a long flight. The cabin altitude, the altitude the inside of the plane is keep at by way of pressurization, is usually around 8,000 feet even if the outside altitude is say 41,000. If, lets say you take a 6 hour flight to an exotic dive resort, unless you live in some very high mountains this altitude is going to higher then where you started your trip. A higher altitude means less atmospheric pressure, less pressure means nitrogen off gassing. So theoretically you would have less nitrogen in your system from being at a higher altitude the first day you arrived then you would at anytime during your stay at the resort.

It sounds like they successfully avoided answering the question by baffling us with a little BS.

Scott

Just a little BS... and covering their butt? :wink:

.... is to avoid diving altogether...

There has been shown to exist a direct causal relationship between scuba diving and DCS.

Perhaps even the elimination of flying would be prudent as it has also been demonstrated that a majority (though not all) of the fatalities resulting from plane crashes were those of passengers.

On the other hand very few posters to Scubaboard have suffered from terminal carpel tunnel syndrome... at least to this point... and so it should be safe to just tell cyberstories about virtual dives.

Would they be ABLE to tell us if they had it?
:wink: :confused: :wink: :eek:
Ber :bunny:

No story there Uncle P, just food for thought. :confused:

Dehydration can be a issue [he says having just completed his lunchtime walk in 98 degree TX heat] - and my mental state is certainly confused followign a 24 hour flight.

BUT - 4 hours of flight is really typical for me - and I'll dive afterwards if I'm lucky! - I just stay off the booze & pump H2O.

Good advice - you already know they have to CYA.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom