NZ Dive December

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Frog-fish

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Kia ora,
Seeking advice on dive spot for early December close to Auckland. Would have max of 2 spare days on this trip so could allow for one to travel there/back and a single day for a dive or two. Have been reading about Poor Knights which sounds perfect but is this workable on a tight time frame ? Home is New Caledonia so would be a nice change to see something different - not that i'm complaining !. Cheers

Poor Knights is just about doable as a day trip from Auckland - it's a 5.30am start, back in the city about 8pm with two dives in between!

If you've got two days, it becomes a lot less painful in terms of long days. It's about a 3 hour drive - either leave the night before, or do the early morning start but stay in Tutukaka that night after diving. Dive the next day, which normally means getting back to the marina 4-4.30pm and head back to Auckland.

Any specific dates in mind?

Thanks Andy, in which case would probably meander up on the Sunday 6th and dive on the Monday 7th. Im a padi advanced with around 30 dives and my partner open water with 20 or so, whilst im sure choice will be limited to what is on offer that day what site would you suggest ?

Choice of site is mostly weather dependent more than anything else, most of the charter companies leave it up to their skippers to decide on the day, based on weather and dive experience.

There are some fabulous dive sites in the 10-25m range.

I tend to mostly dive with Dive! Tutukaka, as they head out most days and will go out with just two people. They also offer a free guiding service - not sure what the diving is like in New Caledonia, but PKs you need to get up close to see stuff. If you're used to corals, having a guide to drag you in close to see the encrusting life might be helpful - but you don't have to, they are fairly flexible in terms of letting people do their own thing.

Send them an email (info@diving.co.nz) and just let Kate know the dates your interested, and she'll look after you. They go out pretty much 365 days a year, and normally have loads of space.

thanks Andy, great advice......

You're welcome, have a great trip!

If you decide to dive on the Sunday, we've got a group heading up and you'd be more than welcome to hop on with them.

I'm down in Wellington teaching a course, else I'd skive off work on the Monday and come for a dive with you!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom