Nuevo Vallarto, Nayarit, Mexico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

riftvalley84

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anyone done any scuba diving in Nuevo Vallarto, Nayarit Mexico which is 9 miles away from Puerto Vallarta? What is the weather/diving like in that area in Oct/Nov?

Thanks!

Oct and Nov is at the end of rainy season, this past year the water was still warm and clear in oct and nov, but i have been in vallarta when in nov, the water was already pretty chilly. I can say that the water in the bay can be unpredictable. The humback whales start to arrive in november to have thier babies. Scuba diving is done in the banderas bay, the largest bay in Mexico. Most common dive sites are Los Arcos, which has a wall dive up to 1600 feet. And also a beautiful shallow reef which nite dives are common. Chimo which is a wonderful, beautiful reef, Marietas Island which is volcanic in nature and has some very nice shallow( 30 feet)and deep(50 feet) swim thrus. and then El Moro which has a cave entrance at 90 feet and exxits at 65. nice dive too.. there is lots of sea life. Banderas bay temp. ranges from 55 degrees to 90 degress every year and the vis , averages about 40 feet. The summer time is the diving season, beautiful warm clear(60 to 90ft) waters. Oct and Nov. is just at the end of the diving season. It is also at the end of huricane season. And the end of the low season.

riftvalley84:
Has anyone done any scuba diving in Nuevo Vallarto, Nayarit Mexico which is 9 miles away from Puerto Vallarta? What is the weather/diving like in that area in Oct/Nov?

Thanks!

We stayed in Nuevo Vallarta in early November 06; the dive sites are not near Nuevo, you have to take a taxi to Los Peines pier in PV (about 20 mins ride) or else dive with Vallarta Adventures and they will transport you from their little dock in NV to the dock in PV then depart on the dive trip from there. The water temp was awesome, 85 degrees, didn't need a wetsuit (and I am a warmwaterwuss), but that may have been just lucky that it was that warm in Novembre. Here is my dive report from that trip.

Dive report Puerto Vallarta

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We went on holidays to Puerto Vallarta November 06. Puerto Vallarta is lush, green, beautiful a quaint little city. We stayed at Paradise Village in NV for two days, and the Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta for a week. We loved both places; Paradise Village has two big pools, comfy rooms, a nice beach and the best golf course in town. The Grand Mayan is gorgeous, very modern, posh furnishings and had a fabulous waterpark including a lazy river, water slides, and lots of pools. Nuevo Vallarta is about 20 minutes by taxi away from Puerto Vallarta where most of the Dive ops are.

I chose to dive with Vallarta Adventures because they were in Nuevo Vallarta about 15 mins walk from the GM. I knew from reading Scubaboard that they were a cattle op, but I had no idea how much. I arrived at the Vallarta Adventures office and there were many, many people milling around. I found the dive desk, there were at least 15 people trying to check in. I checked in and got my gear (not bad Aqualung Breakers newer BCD and Aqualung regs) signed a bunch of waivers and had to wear a bracelet marking me as a diver. Then we got on a huge boat with about 150 other people, I am not joking 150 people. We rode all the way to Puerto Vallarta and picked up more people and let some of the people off our boat to go to different boats for different sites. We were headed out to Las Marietas, and finally underway. It took about 1-½ hours to get there from PV dock. The boat was huge and it had four bathrooms, an eating area, and sundeck upstairs and a dive platform too, with two chase boat pangas in tow. They fed us sandwiches and fruit and lots to drink. They also had entertainment; a guy doing standup about PV, Mexico, safety features of the boat and about Las Marietas, he was funny.

The divers were let off the dive platform first and in a different area than all the snorkelers, and then picked up by the chase boats at the end of the dive. I was impressed with the dive; lots of fish, warm water, many eels, fair visibility (40 foot) and some coral. The second dive had lots of swimthru areas and puffer fish and two people saw a seahorse. The dives were each about 40 minutes at 60 feet and were led by the DM. The DM sent each buddy pair up as they got to 700 psi; I was buddied with the DM. At 40 mins the DM signaled he had to surface, I had 1200 psi left and lots of nitrogen time, I was disappointed but whatever. The DM signaled that I could stay down by myself if I wanted to, I signaled back to check if I ‘heard’ right, I thought about it but figured I’d better not since I wasn’t set up for solo diving. I am not sure if the DM cut the dive short because of a schedule or airtime, he might have been getting low on air because he didn’t have good trim and had to chase after a couple divers a lot. There were a total of about 18 divers with three DMs and a video guy. I bought the video and I have been watching it as I look at the 11 F degrees on our outdoor thermometer.
Diving in Puerto Vallarta area was kind of an afterthought but I was impressed with the diving and wish I would’ve made time to dive more

About picking up in nuevo vallarta, i do. pm me for more info

november is the best season, trust me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom