Nudibranch Photography in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Diver Mexico

Contributor
Reaction score
These coming weeks of feb/march 2009, if you are planning to be in Puerto Vallarta, or if you want to go down and bring your macro camera and strobes, Alicia Hermosillo PhD will be diving and guiding in the area.

Alicia is happy to share her expertise while dive guiding in English or Spanish for photographers and small animal fans in some of the popular dive sites of the bay of Banderas.

The Sea Slug Forum - Eastern Pacific Nudibranchs. A guide to the Opisthobranchs from Alaska to Central America
The Sea Slug Forum - Opistobranquios de Mexico
Alicia Hermosillo Nudibranch Photographer Nudi Pixel
YouTube - El mundo microscópico del Mar de Cortés

She is also a member of SB with the name "Ali" and email alicia_hg@prodigy.net.mx or gueri25@hotmail.com

Get in touch with her if you would like to see the underwater world of the bay in a totally different way

Also check out the Puerto Vallarta small animal and nudibranch report in the Dive Travel Mexico forum here at SB

Last edited:
I have had the good fortune of diving with Ali a few times (including a recent trip to Puerto Vallarta) - not only is she a fantastic diver and incredibly nice person, but she is the most amazing spotter I have ever seen. I know that I've learned quite a bit by diving with her.

Oh, and the diving in PV was pretty cool on its own, especially from a macro standpoint - in addition, we had a huge manta that followed us like a puppy dog for at least 20 minutes on one dive, but sadly, my 60 mm macro lens couldn't adequately capture the moment...

Allison

This is one of the opistobranchs present in many of the dive sites in the Bay of Banderas during the colder warter season. They are all over at this time !

YouTube - Nudibranch Tambja abdere feeding

It is failry large (up to 50 mm) compared to other nudibranchs that you find in the area thus making it easier to spot for divers /photographers with less experience. It usually feeds on a blue green briozooan (Sessibugula) that makes the background on photos look awesome.

So if you see Sessibugula covering some rocks make sure you look around a little longer untill you spot some Tamjbas.

Allisons Photo: Allison Vitsky (vitskypenfoundUW) : photos : Bahia de Banderas, Puerto Vallarta, Winter 2009- powered by SmugMug

Tambja abdere on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Nude-on-Blue-Deux on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Tambja abdere on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

This animal is very photogenic so dont forget to take your camera and macro lense on every dive

Happy diving !

Indeed, indeed, we had a great time. I hope you can come back soon.

Right now is cold water season, the surge should get better from now on. It is very good for nudibranchs right now. If you come down in the summer, the water is very warm and clear, plus calm, nudibranchs are not that abundant but there would be plenty of other animals.

Hugs!

Ali

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom