Nudibranch in Cambodia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive Shop Cambodia

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I found this on the same dive as the seahorses.

Its one of the biggest I've found so far.

I found a melibe viridis the other day which was almost as big. melibe.JPG

Please help with id of this nudi. it is around 20cm long

nudi.jpg nudi1.jpg

I have the Nudibranches of the world, debelius encyclopedia, that was my conclusion also, but it shows so many variations, was not sure.

I have the Nudibranches of the world, debelius encyclopedia, that was my conclusion also, but it shows so many variations, was not sure.
The web sure shows a lot of variations, LOL. In Tropical Pacific Invertebrates is also the only book match I see that looks like this.
Hey, that Seahorse giving birth – what a nice find.:D

The Seahorses here are amazing so far I,ve found 6 different species, not sure what they are but they are definatly different. most dives we see atleast four or five the most I,ve found on one dive was 27.
But they are in alot of danger as the illegal vietnamese boats go down with hooker systems walk along the bottom collecting them, and the local cambodian boats disregard the 18m dreging limit and regulaly drag there nets across the areas where they live. I lost a great dive site the other day and proberbly around 100 to 200 seahorses.
We are currently trying to raise support to protect them, but cambodia is the wild west and those enforcing the laws are often the worst, we had the navy pull up recently to show us the eagle rays they shot.
The conservation here needs to start with education.
I,ll post a pic of two sea horses I saw Mating

How sad. Why mankind has yet to figure out we can kill off any and every living thing except ants and cockroaches is beyond me.

I suppose it is some form of ‘we have to feed our children’? Like tonight’s dinner at the expense of their children’s children?

Seahorses In Love & the cambodian Navy Fishing with guns

These two spent around 20 minutes dancing with each other before they settled for this photo.

inlove.jpg

And this is the eagle ray, used as target practice by those that are supposed to protect.

eagleray&gun.jpg dudeswithguns.jpg

Would you give either of these clever looking fellas guns?

And this is the eagle ray, used as target practice by those that are supposed to protect.
Target practice??!!!!
…and for the rest, words just escape me….:shakehead:
I’d like to think disregard for human life goes hand in hand with this kind of waste of natural resources – of any kind, food or pleasure – it is persons who are debased or lacking a significant component of human intellect. Sadly I fear it is not but more of a lack of caring in general, and is shared among all of humanity. ‘If I have no use for this, it must be of no use to anyone else.’

You said it IMHO; education. If we as humans, with all we have accomplished in this world cannot learn from our fathers they were wrong…nip this doing as it’s always been done in the bud. I have to think your photos and stories of what you see that none others can or will - can have a high impact on children at least. Aren’t children highly impressionable? Attack the roots of such thoughtlessness with them as well.

I feel very lucky in my life to have seen places and things on our planet without the hand of man interfering, it is a precious thing. As much as I would like to, it is not likely I will ever see what you are striving to preserve. Still, I commend you for your efforts, thank you on behalf of others and wish you well.

Fortitude Brother, Fortitude!

The children are the key.
We have reopened the only school on the Island and are hoping that we can use the oppertunity to teach the kids the importance of maintaining the ecosystem and to live in harmony with it.

If you check out the blog The Dive Shop Cambodia there is a small article on the school and since then we raised another $400 which we hope to use to set up some sustainable fishing projects.

If we can teach them that they can earn more money for less work and protect there assets at the same time we may make a mini break through.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom