Nubble Lighthouse Tragedy.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dang, and this just a day after another diver was rescued there. His name was released.

67-year-old New Hampshire man identified as diver who died near Nubble Light
YORK, Maine — The Maine Department of Marine Resources (DMR) says a 67-year-old recreational diver died Tuesday in the water near the Nubble Lighthouse in York. The diver was identified as Walter Fabian of Nashua, N.H.

According to Marine Patrol, Fabian was Fabian was diving with a friend when the two became separated after surfacing. The friend swam to shore, and after not being able to find Fabian, he called for help.

Marine Patrol Sergeant Matthew Sinclair arrived on scene at approximately 2 p.m., but Fabian had already been pronounced deceased by other responders.

Marine Patrol is transporting Fabian’s body to shore where it will be taken to the Medical Examiner’s Office in Augusta for an autopsy.

On Monday, a diver was rescued from the same waters after suffering exhaustion while diving.

Incidents like this, York firefighters say, aren’t that rare – at least two or three similar ones involving divers were reported prior to Monday's rescue.

York police say diving off the Night Lighthouse is suspended until it's determined what happened to the diver on Tuesday. Currents in the area can be strong, but what caused the death on Tuesday—whether it was a medical condition or an equipment-related issue—remains unknown at this point.

The Coast Guard, Maine Marine Patrol, and York emergency crews were at the scene until mid-afternoon on Tuesday.

Investigators have also been talking with the man who died's diving partner.

York police couldn’t say when the area is going to reopen to diving if at all. Police also are saying they’re going to keep this parking lot closed through the afternoon.

Prayers for the family and those involved.

One of my favorite places......Regrettable, and unfortunate. :(
Cheers.

So very sad. Is this a challenging shore diving site due to surge, surf, rocks, etc.?

So very sad. Is this a challenging shore diving site due to surge, surf, rocks, etc.?
Hello, everyone. Hey, Jim. (Long Answer.) Perspective is sometimes different from person to person. I consider this to be an "Advanced." dive. When, I used to dive here, I would do a "Giant Stride." where the red arrow is pointing. (I have not seen anyone else do this.) People would say, I was crazy, or stupid, and my route was generally the "Red Line." A majority of divers walk down to where the "Green Arrows." are for entry, and exit. This area is approx. 60 Yards long, and 20 Yards wide. The rocks are "Always." very slick, and some areas have permanent seaweed that make it even worse. Being New England the rocks are very jagged. If, you look at Google maps, and zoom out the Lighthouse is far enough out making the waves constant. Even at "Slack Tide." it is never really calm. If, I remember correctly, the tide differential is approx 8 - 10 Ft.
Speaking of which....comparatively. It's like "Blue Heron Bridge." as far as a window. An hour before, and after high tide. In winter, on the East side the visibility can be in excess of 70 Ft. The schools of giant Cod, and Haddock are amazing, (Blue fish when the season is in) and Lobsters abound. Humpback whales can often be seen, along with an occasional "Great White."
The dive itself is extra ordinary. (Very beautiful.) Some of the White sea anemone are huge, sea urchins, crabs, the walls are full of life. Some of the "Huge." Granite rock formations are awesome.
The depth is approx 0 to 80 Ft. There is always surge here.
I put this dive right up next to "Cathedral Rocks." in Rockport, Mass. as being a dangerous shore dive. Numerous divers have died there trying to climb down the rocks.
Again, "Perspective." I would classify both of these dives as "Boat Dives."
Cheers.
Nubble Light..jpg

@Boston Breakwater ... Thank you for the detail regarding the dive site. Definitely looks like an advanced site for sure.

Given that the fatality happened after the dive is it possible that he fell trying to exit? Became exhausted and had a medical incident and drowned? There just isn't much detail in the reports but that is typical for how reporters cover diving fatalities anywhere.

Back
Top Bottom