Nubble Light - York, ME - July 5th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba-sass

Wreckmaniac Extrordinaire
Reaction score
Hi All,

Lyd and I will be doing a navigation course. Anyone going to be around? We should be arriving around 9:30 AM.

I know info about this site has been posted elsewhere, and I promise to do a search for it, but if anyone feels inspired to put some basic facts here, I certainly wouldn't object! :)

Hope to meet some of you there!

Scuba-sass :)

...For the link.

Happy Diving,

I’m up Nubble sometimes twice a week. It’s my favorite shore dive in the area. It’s all rock, so it’s clean ( no sand to get into your gear ). If you get up there early on a weekday parking is good. On a weekend forget it ! During the summer season the bath rooms are open and there is a small seafood stand right at the dive sight. From the entry point it can get deep fast. Just 30 or 40 feet off shore could put you in 25fsw. From the entry point, if you take a compass heading of 90 degrees it will put you on a wall. This is a no brainer because as you stand at the entry point you can see the wall sticking out of the water right in front of you. If you take a left at this wall and follow it ( keeping the wall on your right ) you can reach a depth of 80fsw at high tide. The bottom is a mix of everything, rock, sand , plant & animal. If the visibility is good this place can be a very pretty dive, with the most to see being at the shallower depths. I tend to go towards the deeper depths, because I get to see things that most of the other divers don’t see when they dive the Nubble. Things get bigger out where it’s deeper and encounters with large marine life are rare but rewording. I just came back from a dive at Nubble on 06/29 and saw the largest wolf eel that I have ever seen. It was in 73fsw and I took a couple of photos of it. The visibility was poor so I hope the pic’s come out. This wolf eel was big enough to swallow a small child. If they come out I’ll post one.

One word of caution: From the entry point if you take a sharp left and loop around to the small cove on the left side, you will find this to be an extremely beautiful dive area. However diving here, you expose yourself to people fishing off of the rocks. At any given time there can be 10 or more people cast fishing off the rocks. There may be no one there when you start your dive, but then arrive afterwards. Many don’t understand the dive flag thing and will indiscriminately cast their hooks in any direction. So be careful and dive safe……………………Arduous

SS,

A few hints....

- The Nubble parking lot is a one way circle (traffic is routed counterclock-wise). You want to park on the left side of the circle to be closest to the entry/exit point.

- There are bathrooms at the little gift shop that is on your right as you enter the circle..

Enjoy!

-LD

I plan on going July 20th with LDS in Southington, perhaps you would like to meet up with us?? I have never been either, please post your experience.

I'm not sure what my plans for the 4th are yet, but I'm planning on rafting in Maine from the 6th through 8th, so I have to drive through York on friday anyhow. If I can get motivated early enough, maybe I'll see you up there.

Quick note:

Diving at Nubble on Holidays is forbidden and enforced by the York Police Dept.

Don’t plan a dive there for the 4th of July. ……………Arduous

LD & Arduous,
Thanks for the great tips - really helpful stuff!!!

Shellbird,
Sorry, We'll be at Wreckmania on the 20th! (Who am I kidding - I'm not sorry to be there, just sorry to miss another chance to meet you!)

MSilva,
Set the alarm a little early, grab one size larger at Dunkin D's, and come meet up with us! :)

Happy Diving, and Sparkler-ing,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom