Now this is Boat Diving.. in style.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kidsdream

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just joking a bit. While my boat does have a single tank rank (a varnished teak one at that), I only dive off of it as last resort to fix something or unplug the air conditioner intake.

10498_4890_1.jpg

10498_4890_2.jpg

She is a 1953 42' Wheeler - the same brand of boat that Ernest Hemingway used (Pilar) to fish from. Note: for you Keys regulars, the poorly restored boat in the World Wide Sportsman in Islamorada is not an actual Wheeler. While it was made in Brooklyn near the Wheeler Shipyard, it is not the real thing.

She is a sweet boat, you don't see many like her around any more. I had a 40' 1950 Chris Craft for 15 years. I feel your pain.

How cool. I love those old wood boats. Have had two. Last 59 Owens 29' all varnish, even the bilges. Looks like you really take care of her.

That's an awesome and beautiful boat! How about some interior shots? I also want to see that teak single tank holder :)

If you look at the transom of the boat in the WWS you will see a huge dent from the bottle of Champane the a relative of Hemminway bashed against it.

I guess they forgot to file a fracture line in the bottle before they gave it to her! :shakehead

Note: for you Keys regulars, the poorly restored boat in the World Wide Sportsman in Islamorada is not an actual Wheeler. While it was made in Brooklyn near the Wheeler Shipyard, it is not the real thing.​

Aquanautchuck:
How cool. I love those old wood boats. Have had two. Last 59 Owens 29' all varnish, even the bilges. Looks like you really take care of her.

We had a 1956 wooden 26' Owens for 8 years. Just sold it this last spring and went fiberglass with our new one. 26' Nordic Tug. We do NOT miss all that wood (aka work).

Beautiful boat BTW, absolutely gorgeous.

Beautiful boat you have there! My wife’s parents (retired coast guard) have a 52’ sailboat and talk all sorts of smack about powerboats, I still like em though; I hope to someday own something that nice. I think I’ll end up with something more like a pontoon boat though, I just like to puts around in the water a bit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom