Now That I'm In, How Do I Get Out?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Not my first warning" - yes, my only other delete I know of was expressing astonishment (I had not known) that this site has a forum set aside for an impossible-to-remember alphabet soup of self-identifiers (LGTBQIA). My astonishment was not, principally, that the forum is here (although why not a special forum for people who deny climate change, or are pro-animal rights, or are against genetically modified foods), my astonishment was at bending over backwards to the absurd degree to expect ANYONE to remember all those letters, and in proper sequence. If to accommodate anybody you have to engage in absurdity, than something is wrong.

@Suppresst

If you cared about the issues and discrimination that people in these groups face daily, you would have no problem remembering that "alphabet soup of self-identifiers." And if you don't personally self identify as any of LGTBQIA why do you care ? Or are you another Gay Homophobe yourself?

Similarly, there's a "womens issues" group. If you're not a woman you shouldn't care.

Last edited:
@Suppresst

If you cared about the issues and discrimination that people in these groups face daily, you would have no problem remembering that "alphabet soup of self-identifiers." And if you don't personally self identify as any of LGTBQIA why do you care ? Or are you another Gay Homophobe yourself?

Similarly, there's a "womens issues" group. If you're not a woman you shouldn't care.
- Moderator hat off, human being hat firmly on -
Really wish there was a way to triple-like a post.

dude, calling your post 'bigotry' is an exercise in free speech
Some people seem to think that if someone argues against their views, they're being censored.

When I'm saying that your (general you) opinion is reprehensible, I'm not restricting your right to free speech. I'm just exercising my right to free speech.

Relevant XKCD comic

my only other delete I know of was expressing astonishment (I had not known) that this site has a forum set aside for an impossible-to-remember alphabet soup of self-identifiers (LGTBQIA). My astonishment was not, principally, that the forum is here (although why not a special forum for people who deny climate change, or are pro-animal rights, or are against genetically modified foods), my astonishment was at bending over backwards to the absurd degree to expect ANYONE to remember all those letters, and in proper sequence. If to accommodate anybody you have to engage in absurdity, than something is wrong.
Dude, if I were you I'd really reconsider that paragraph. You obviously don't have a clue about the challenges a lot of not-straight people face in almost every situation. Scuba diving included.

I'll limit myself to pointing out that this, too, may easily be regarded as bigoted and offensive. And that it isn't you who decides which forums this board should have. Because if I really said what I think, I'd violate the ToS.

calling my post bigotry was free speech, but it's false free speech.
No, it's free speech which you don't agree with. Are you the arbiter of what "free speech" is?

- Moderator hat off, human being hat firmly on -
Really wish there was a way to triple-like a post.
Thirded and fourthed.

although why not a special forum for people who deny climate change, or are pro-animal rights, or are against genetically modified foods
Succinctly, no one has ever asked for any of these groups. We cater to what our users want. If enough users ask for a particular forum, we create it. If it doesn't get used, we'll probably delete it after a bit.

I certainly can't remember all the letters in that title and I'm calmly OK with that. My bi-daughter is OK with it too.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Please... this is not a politics thread. Join the Pub if you want to continue discussing politics. Stay on topic.

hopefully on topic: I had a couple of posts deleted from this thread, which is fine, but it would be helpful to know which posts they were. I can guess one of them, but the other one eludes me. Could the message be changed to indicate which posts they were in future? Maybe just adding the first few words of the post to the moderating message or something like that.

Maybe just adding the first few words of the post to the moderating message or something like that.
Good thought, but the software doesn't accommodate that at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom