Novice swimmer interested in learning about diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Leego

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hello, my name is Leego. I don't really know what else to say, other than that I have had a recent fascination with water.

About a year ago, I took a beginner swimming course at a university, and even though I was terrified of water at first, I was able to perform a few different swimming strokes from one end of a pool lane to the other, turn around, float on my back, my belly, and I could even dive or, swim downwards. The only things I have yet to completely learn are how to tread water, especially in deeper ends of the pool, and possibly some more underwater moves, rather than strictly surface swimming.

Although I am not terribly fond of swimming with other people in crowded public pools, I did learn that I really love being in water, and that I would be willing to overcome whatever fears I may have with it to enjoy it more. I even like the idea of doing water-related work, like commercial diving, and it was my intention to, if possible, spend my year in AmeriCorps NCCC to practice swimming and get better at it, as well as use swimming to get into better shape.

I am overweight, and actually clinically obese at the moment, being a 5'9" male, and weighing 195 lbs the last time I weighed, even though I used to weigh 260 lbs. I've been running, lifting weights, and performing bodyweight exercises to get stronger and lose weight, so I can complete a 1.5 mile run in under 15 minutes, and even be able to do pull-ups, but I often have a concern about injuring myself due to my excessive weight.

I have an interest in becoming a Park Ranger some day soon, but I also have a strong interest in going to a commercial diving school at Santa Barbara City College within a year, using the financial aid award I get from NCCC to help pay for it. I feel that it would complement my Earth Science degree, let me work with my hands, in water, and give me more time to find a place to live and work.

I know I'm shooting for the stars. To get into shape, become an intermediate swimmer, get scuba certified, and pass the physical test to enter the program, within a year, but I have confidence that I can do it. If not, then I will just pursue another job somewhere in the meantime, and continue to practice and train.

You won't have to worry about me much: I will just be stalking these forums, for the most part.

Welcome to SB Leego. And I applaud your efforts re swimming and other activities. --As opposed to some I've witnessed taking Open Water Scuba course who probably have no business even being in water over their head. You're taking the logical step by step approach to an activity that can be unforgiving if you're not competent.
For treading water, there are different approaches. It is a topic discussed now and again on the Board. I feel a person's body buoyancy counts a lot. "Drown proofing" was my approach (in fresh water--I can float normally in salt water). That is basically taking a big breath and letting your lungs float you, regardless if your head goes underwater. Then come up and repeat--I won't sink more than a few inches during this, and you can do it for quite a while. Good luck with your routine and keep us posted.

Thank you. I believe I need to be able to tread water for about 10 minutes: 5 minutes with hands, 3 minutes with wrists out of water, and 2 minutes with elbows out of the water.

I want to learn how to use this one treading technique where I have to basically rotate or spin my legs in opposite directions beneath me, creating a sort of cyclone formation. It sounds like the most powerful technique to me, but I cannot remember what it's called, and all I remember is that it was pretty exhausting.

I am still not quite sure how my body composition plays into this. On land with sports and the military, it's simple: Lose weight and get stronger so you can run further and do push-ups and pull-ups. With swimming, it's like, "If I work on getting stronger, this may be easier, but if I accidentally gain muscle and lose fat, won't I like buoyancy?"

I'll check out that book, and will be sure to ask questions whenever I practice swimming.

Elbows out of water may be difficult with drownproofing, I've never tried it (wrists out easy). Check your body buoyancy first to see how much you will have to work to tread if elbows out is a problem. You may want to save all your leg energy for those last 2 minutes. I've never heard of elbows out. I assume none of the "tread" can simply be done by floating motionless (if you are able) --against the rules I assume.

Body buoyancy plays such a big part. My wife can go into the deep end of a pool and float VERTICALLY with almost no arms/legs movement (people think she's standing in 8 feet of water). Opposite end of the spectrum from me.

I'm more concerned about getting strong and fit enough to make it in bootcamp, while also trying to make sure I can be an efficient swimmer. Since I was originally making myself try and get there in shape in 4 months, I took to weightlifting and running/sprinting 3 days a week, and one week I ran every day except for Sunday.

Now that I am going to do NCCC for a year, and am considering becoming a commercial diver or at least going to some trade school for a year after NCCC, I really want to slow down and just focus on losing weight and reducing my chances of injury, while still strength training in some way.

I began to love running, but I almost want to say I hate it now because I can't seem to do it without either injuring my knee or my foot. I seem to keep coming down too hard running up or down my parents' driveway. Just tonight, I landed too hard on the ball of my foot, and even though the impact didn't hurt much at all, I could feel it happen, and now it kind of hurts to stand on my foot, so now I have to stop all physical activity for 1~6 weeks and ice this sucker at least once every day.

The very thought of not getting to exercise for even a week, let-alone being stuck in a bed, depresses me. Exercise is always a reason for me to go outside at the crack of dawn and have time to myself, and it always makes me feel all-around better, and it helps keep me from overeating a bloating: Don't ask me how or why, but I eat less after I exercise, and I don't feel fat and overfed before or after eating if I do at least a 15-min HIIT or even a simple 30-min jog that day.

For times when I can't practice swimming, I'm considering just investing in a jump rope and just practicing biking and calisthenics until I can get my weight down to 170 lbs. That seems to be the most important thing to basic entry into the military anyways.

Cycling is the way to go for cardio fitness. I was 322 lbs five years ago, and as of this morning I was 244 lbs. I used to run, but when was the last time you saw anyone running and smiling at the same time? How many smiling cyclists have you seen? Lots probably. It's easier to learn to float when you're fat (fat floats and lean mass sinks) so swimming is an awesome way to get some cardio fitness too.

Either way, good job on the weight loss. Take a intro class if you aren't sure scuba will be "your thing" and see if you'll like it (i.e. discover scuba). I think you'll find scuba to be the most open, friendly sport around.

im not a great swimmer but the biggest thing is i dont panic if you can comfortably take your mask off under water and swap out regulators you won half the battle

keep up the hard work and strive for your goals......

Snorkeling and diving down, clearing mask/snorkel, etc. a big help with mask/breathing skills.

Back
Top Bottom