November Tip idea - Possible?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DvrRick

Contributor
Reaction score
I have come up with several possible dive locations while I am in the Philippines in Nov and would like your advice and suggestions. I will be in Angeles and my idea was this:

Angeles to El Nido (SwiftAir) 4 days
El Nido to Coron (Boat?) 4 days
Head over to Malapascua 4 days
Malapascua to Batangas Reserve 4 days

The days are flexible and I am flexible as far as order of locations. I am also willing to add or remove any of these destinations for a more well rounded dive trip. It appears Malapascua will be the most difficult. I can leave from any airport to my next destination so final site isn't all that important though it may be cheaper to fly out of MNL.

You really need to find out how to connect those places without unnecessary back-tracking.
The wrecks in Coron are GREAT.
Diving in El Nido is ok but there are better places in the country. What is the attraction there?

1. Clark to Cebu City(Malapascua), Cebu to Manila and then to Coron.
2. Manila to Coron, back to Manila and then off to Cebu City(Malapascua).

Cebu Pacific has only direct flight between Coron with Manila but other options might be available.

Hello DvrRick,

Congratulations for choosing the Philippines as a Scuba destination. The Philippines really has a lot to offer across many genre's of diving from Wrecks, Reefs, Whale Sharks, Thresher Sharks, Muck and of course the Sardines and turtles in Moalboal.

As you are beginning your trip in Angeles City I would thoroughly suggest a trip to the former home of the US Navy in Subic Bay. Subic has over 20 wrecks spanning 100 years with a lot of diversity from aeroplanes, freighters, landing craft and many more.

Subic is also just an hour drive south of Angeles making it extremely accessible.

We operate the Arizona Dive Shop in Subic which is a PADI 5 Star Dive Center and we conduct beginner courses right through to Professional level along with daily trips to the wrecks. We are located right on the beach and offer accomodation, transport and a great floating bar to enjoy a cold beer after a day of diving. Check out our website at www.arizonadivesubic.com and drop us a line. We shall take good care of you!!

OK, now moving onto a schedule.

Angeles to Subic and 3 to 4 days diving the wrecks.

Fly from Angeles to Cebu and hit your preference of a number of dive destinations such as Malapascua, Moalboal, Oslob and Bohol.

From Cebu perhaps bus it to Dumaguete and get some stunning muck diving done as well as visiting Apo Island. Apo is awesome and Dumaguete is a cool and happening city with plenty of decent restaurants and a few bars to chill out.

From Dumaguete you could catch a direct flight back to Manila and check out Batangas if time permits, then fly home from Manila.

I hope this helps and if you would like any more information on Subic Bay and/or would like some recommendations for good dive centres in those areas drop me an email and I shall do my utmost to head you in the right direction.

Regards Team Arizona!

I can definitely second Arizona Dive Ship and the Resort in Subic. Great owner for the resort and the Dive Op is top notch, even doing technical diving if that's your thing.

You've got some great spots picked, but personally, I would trade El Nido diving for either Puerto Galera or Anilao. So many good operators in the area and fantastic diving. El Nido is gorgeous and a nice place to visit, but I would rank the diving in PG/Anilao higher. It could also fit in ok with Angeles/Subic (fly into MNL, dive PG/Anilao, then hit A.C./Subic, fly from Clark to wherever next).

Just some food for thought! I'm sure the others will be around soon with even more ideas.

Great info so far everyone! Keep it coming. The reason for El Nido was the mention from others on this board. I will be looking for nightlife and land adventures and thought the islands around El Nido looked great for day trips but am open to any and all options.

My diving will be somewhat limited as I am attempting to save $ as I plan on traveling for about 6 months. This means 2 days of diving for each 4 nights I stay at each destination (depending on land based activities). The Philippines will be my 2nd stop after 11 days in Japan (the most expensive part of my trip) and then I will head to SE Asia for the remainder of my time. I am really looking to get the most out f each dive day.

WrecksToSea: I have reached out to the resort for details. Thanks for this!

There is no such thing as nightlife in El Nido.
The nightlife in Subic is surely cheaper than Angeles!!!!
If you are on tight budget than you should just concentrate on Coron. Because the wrecks are head and shoulder above those in Subic.
Seek out the history on the wrecks in Coron and Subic.

I've decided to go to Subic Bay first (easy access from Angeles) and dive Coron as well. Once I decide on all 4 (or more) locations I'll figure out the best order in which to visit them. Since those are both wreck locations I am looking for 2 other sites with different dives (sharks for sure). Malapscua is still on the radar though difficult to get to as is Batangas Reserve. What I am looking for is other suggestions from those who have been there so I can make in informed choice. Thanks everyone!

I am still making some decisions but have booked 4 night in Subic Bay to start off with. I was told that booking flights while in the Philippines is a great deal cheaper than booking them from the US before the trip. Can someone share their experience with price differential and capacity on the flights? Thanks!

Book on line. Period.
Registered with eg. Cebu Pacific, PAL for their promotion notification.
Domestic flight has more restriction on luggage allowance especially on Cebu Pacific. PAL is slightly more generous in this matter(it is included in the fare). Look it up and do read the small print. Ignore anything that your travel agent said.

If anyone going to PG with the sole interest on wrecks diving then they would be really really disappointed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom