Nov. 12, 2011 Deep Cove (Saanich Inlet) photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very nice! Best vis I've ever seen at that site. Love the barge photos, gives a real sense of the size and features of the wreck. Too bad the strobe didn't work, bet there could have been some really nice critter pics too.
Cheers,
Craig.

I'm astonished at how good the pictures are, wide-angle with natural light. Very cool!

Visibility was only about 20-30 feet, which is about average from what I've seen in Deep Cove. The fisheye lens fakes better visibility. It was a dark, rainy day so it was also much darker than the pictures seem to show. The settings I used were f5.6, iso 1600, shutter speed 1/6 to 1/10 sec. which doesn't really seem reasonable for a 40-foot-deep dive. When the photos are blown up to their normal size, the're pretty grainy from that iso 1600.

No soldering iron? Forgot your save a dive kit did you?
I actually tried re-wiring it using a pocket knife and the wire from my dollar store cassette deck/MP3 player adapter (I'm not joking). Unfortunately, every time I tried to fire the strobe it melted the wire since it wasn't rated for the huge current that goes from the capacitor to the flash tube. I'm sure the locals were about to call in the anti-terrorism squad after seeing me huddled in my car with big flashing electrical arcs and puffs of smoke/ozone.

Back
Top Bottom