Not just a gimmick!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Chairman

Chairman of the Board
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
OK gang, I tried my new set of Omegas this past week, and I have to say I really liked them. In fact, they were AWESOME.

First some background.

Male, 51 and overweight. I just had surgery on my left ankle this past January, and have limited flexibility from being a mechanic for 30 years. I always look like a geek getting my fins off and on. I have worn Jet fins for the past 39 years. I tried splits for a bit (Twin Jets) and came back to the Jets. I have tried a dozen or so fins over the years, but nothing beats my Jets. Until today.

I got the black in XL (their biggest footpocket) since I dive in OTB boots. They came in a few days ago, with their own carry sack, and since I was out for a walk in my OTBs I slipped them into the foot pocket to see the initial fit. THAT was nice. I didn't even have the straps on, but I practiced kickick the locking mechanism with my heel to make the blade flip up. Well, it's easy on dry land, that's for sure.

So, this past week I am out diving and I have to admit that I brought two pairs of fins: my tried and true Jet FIns XXL, and the Omegas. Make no mistake about it, I have tried lots of gear before that never made it past five minutes. If something is not working, then you can bet that I will be making an adjustment in short order. I am very particular in how I dive: just not who I dive with :D. Did I mention I was diving with HowardE?

So, the call is made to do the final suit up for our first dive. I slip the fins on with the blades locked in the swim position. Yes, I was nervous about kicking them into the open position and I was kinda embarrassed about having such a gadgety looking fin on my feet. Seeing this, Howard takes the opportunity to point out my new fins to everyone. So, EVERYONE on the boat wants to see them flip up, and of course, I oblige them. It's time to dive, so I make my way to the end of the boat and fall backwards into the water. I am the first to splash, and getting the fins into the swim position with a single kick is ridiculously EASY. I hear the click and I am off, pulling my way down the line to the Rodeo 25 wreck.

At the bottom, I add a bit of air, trim out and give a tentative frog kick. My buddy is still headed down the line, so I swim a circle, first flipping with one fin and then the other, and finally doing a full helicopter turn. Maneuverability is way excellent. I check to be sure I hadn't put on my Jets by mistake. Nope... I still have those funky fins on.

Howarde arrives and we start cruising around the wreck. My frog kicks feel so normal, and all of my power is there. I am really starting to feel confident in these fins. I get a bit higher above the wreck and try a standard flutter kick. Whoa, plenty of power, though not as much as my Jets. They feel a bit different now, but not really bad. But hey, I would rather frog kick anyway, so I revert.

End of dive and I am on the line at me safety stop. The subtleness in my new fins is excellent. They are very responsive as I play with my kicking technique. Then it dawns on me... I either have to take them off or collapse them when I get to the surface, so let's practice a bit BEFORE I hit the 4/6' waves on the surface. It took a couple of tries to get them, and they don't pop up NEAR as fast as they do in air. You definitely need to be patient. So, end of safety stop, I make my final ascent and find that there is no rope from the stern to the bow. One quick flip on each fin, and I am under power once more. At the back of the boat was a different matter. Now I had to coordinate kicking the latch with my heels with the up and down surge of the waves in syncopation with the ladder. IT WAS ROUGH. But it was still far quicker than trying to get both fins off of my feet, and the ascent up the ladder with my FINS ON was easy.

On the deck, I realize how tricky they were. The fins had some anti-skip pads on the bottom! YEAH! Others were sliding on the deck, and I had a sure footing. I left them on during the entire surface interval. The foot pocket was WAY comfortable: probably the best I have ever had. The next dive was announced, and all I had to do was to put on my BC. I splashed and fell in love with these fins all over again. Yes, I tried the flutter kick again, and notice that the kick is easier on my muscles. It feels as if I have plenty of power and I have no problem keeping up with my buddy. The exit was still bit tricky, as I am getting my aim down still. Hey, I have only been diving Jets since 1969: It was about time someone re-invented the fin in a way that made sense to ME.

Caveat: In my opinion, these are not suitable for any overhead environment where you will be running a line. Too many points that can pick up a line. It's my only criticism of the fin, and frankly, I don't see any way around it. My next test will be a beach dive at Venice Beach. I bet they rock in that environment!

I told you you would like them!

I have 50+ dives on mine and they are holding up great.

I will be using them at Venice soon!

I told you you would like them!

I have 50+ dives on mine and they are holding up great.

I have 130 dives on mine, got my set right after OW Cert. I love suiting up on a boat, spring diving, anything. It is funny though, I am usually the first one geared up and the last in the water because I have the mobility to help others, retreived dropped items. I love my fins and I just picked up a set last night for a friend going through OW today and tomorrow.

Joe

No, not just a gimmick.
They work great.
I've had mine for about 2 years now.
I don't dive with anything else.
Even dives that I know will require different kicks.
I have three other sets of fins sitting in the closet collecting dust.
These are that nice.
The customer support is better thanh ANY company I have ever dealt with. ANY
I had an issue with my first set folding shut while doing frog kicks.
I communicated with someone from the company right here on SB and they gave me a RMA number to send them back.
Within 6 days I had a brand new set delivered to me.
They also set an Omega Aquatics baseball cap and paid for the return shipping.

HOW COOL IS THAT??????

And Like Bazooka Joe said, they're so mobile, you can help others on the boat...often causing you to be the last in the water.
(not always a good thing when you're lobster hunting)

Back
Top Bottom