northern New England conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

formernuke

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I saw on Facebook, one diver having to be rescues on Monday, one diver found dead on Tuesday both off nubble lighthouse. And one making a good call in cape Ann of looking at ocean conditions and canceling prior to getting in.

So are there any people here that can report if things have calmed down?

We dove Ash Point off Owls Head near Rockland yesterday. Conditions were fine, with some surge.

I can't tell you if they are better today but I usually use the zone area forecast for the Gloucester area to decide if I think a charter is going out or if it's worth it to drive all the way to the coast (1.5 hours) for shore diving. Right before I leave I'll check the buoy as well for wave heights and period.

The next few days look great. I would avoid Saturday at all costs.
Screenshot_20200708-093013_SailFlow.jpg
Screenshot_20200708-093030_SailFlow.jpg

I would have to guess the full moon and tides probably played a roll in the nubble rescue. I've seen flood tides on a full moon pull at up to 5.2kts. You would be hard pressed to swim against that kind of current.

I plan to get to Hathaway or RI for Saturday.

I don't think you will be doing any diving in the New England area on Saturday. The forecast is calling for a south wind 24mph sustained, gusts to 48mph. Waves will be 6ft every 8 seconds.

That is for Point Judith, RI. It is pretty much the same all the way up the coast.

I don't think you will be doing any diving in the New England area on Saturday. The forecast is calling for a south wind 24mph sustained, gusts to 48mph. Waves will be 6ft every 8 seconds.

That is for Point Judith, RI. It is pretty much the same all the way up the coast.

Might be a good day for pond diving or cancel we all know how NE weather loves to change last minute.

You might be able to pull off a dive somewhere like Folly Cove, where it is protected from the wind. But I would not dive Jamestown, RI or anywhere near there. A lake/pond is a great idea.

Personally, it's doable. The getting out would be tricky. But no way would I go with someone that is not experienced or out of shape.

Personally, it's doable. The getting out would be tricky. But no way would I go with someone that is not experienced or out of shape.

You mean all of us after covid.

But my Y just opened so laps for me.

The Marine Weather Forecast In Detail: Rhode Island Sound

ANZ235 Forecast Issued: 717 PM EDT Wed Jul 08 2020

Tonight...Sw Winds 10 To 15 Kt. Gusts Up To 20 Kt This Evening. Seas 2 To 3 Ft. Patchy Fog After Midnight With Vsby 1 To 3 Nm.

Thu...S Winds 5 To 10 Kt. Seas Around 2 Ft. Patchy Fog. Vsby 1 To 3 Nm.
Thu Night...S Winds 5 To 10 Kt. Seas 2 To 3 Ft. Patchy Fog. Vsby 1 To 3 Nm.

Fri...Se Winds 5 To 10 Kt, Increasing To 10 To 15 Kt With Gusts Up To 20 Kt In The Afternoon. Seas 2 To 4 Ft. Patchy Fog. Showers And Tstms Likely. Some Tstms May Produce Heavy Rainfall. Vsby 1 To 3 Nm.

Fri Night And Sat...S Winds 15 To 20 Kt. Seas 5 To 8 Ft. Showers And Tstms. Some Tstms May Produce Heavy Rainfall. Vsby 1 To 3 Nm.
Sat Night...Sw Winds 10 To 15 Kt. Gusts Up To 20 Kt In The Evening. Seas 4 To 6 Ft. A Chance Of Showers And Tstms.

Sun...Sw Winds 10 To 15 Kt. Seas 3 To 5 Ft. A Chance Of Showers And Tstms.
Sun Night And Mon...Sw Winds 10 To 15 Kt. Seas 4 To 6 Ft.

Mon Night...Sw Winds 5 To 10 Kt. Seas 4 To 6 Ft. A Chance Of Showers And Tstms. Winds And Seas Higher In And Near Tstms. Seas Are Reported As Significant Wave Height, Which Is The Average Of The Highest Third Of The Waves. Individual Wave Heights May Be More Than Twice The Significant Wave Height.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom