Northern Diver Auto Dump Valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

El Gato

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi Guys,
This is my first posting to the SB.

Whilst diving a new drysuit last week in salt water I had a problem with an auto dump valve at 20m. This was my 16th dive in this suit from new within a week and thus far without problem. At 20m I decided to accend to 15m (I normally drive the dry suit for BC) and rolled right to dump a liitle air before ascending to 15m. The valve did not release any air and despite attempting to adjust and finaly manualy dump - it simply would not release air.

I was forced to pull my neck seal to dump air and swith to my BCD to continue / end the dive. Post dive everything seemed to work perfectly in test at the surface. I tested in water an all seems OK but I'm rightly concerned at this apparent failure. I had rinsed after every dive and hadn't been on the bottom (no grit) and diving in the Red Sea with lovely clear and clean water.

Q. Has anyone ever had issues like this - especialy with Northern Diver or any DV and what was the reason?

Thanks
Gato

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Moved to Exposure Suits

If you are talking about Northern Diver dry suits from the UK. I know of too many people who have problems with Northern Diver Dry suits. Faulty valves, poor material, leaks the list goes on.
Some one mentioned at the club I go to that they have had a batch of faulty valves (allegedly).

I got an ND divemaster last year in April. First time I used it the inflator valve failed. I met someone on the same day with exactly the same failure. I guess this may be part of the bad batch you were talking about.

To their credit they replaced the valve with an apeks valve with no fuss at all. Since then it has kept me dry and warm on 30 or so dives.

I have not had any serious problems with the auto dump. I have only ever owned one dry suit so I have nothing to compare it with but it doesn't work as well as I would like. I have to work to get air out of it by hugging myself and rolling around a lot. Not sure if this is because of the valve design or the location.

I am considering replacing the auto dump to see if there is any improvement.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom