North Sulawesi - questiosn etc. ALSO posted in Aust. SP forum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wystiria

Registered
Reaction score
Hi All,

Ok for Christmas 2006 I am planning a trip to North Sulawesi & Tokyo. NS to dive and Tokyo to be with friends. we are planning on spending roughly a week in tokyo first and we are located in connecticut so NYC anyof those airports OR boston are very accessible to us. I have some questions on flights strategies And then on the resort we are pretty sure we will book.

OK flights - here is my thought - dates are flexible!!

Decemeber 21st depart to Tokyo Narita,
Spend Christmas in Tokyo
Then Leave the 27th or 28th and Fly to Manado.
What is the best way to do this? Thru Singapor?
Leave Manado to return to NYC/Boston 1/6 (I want to be int he states for the 7th.)

any thoughts/comments/ideas on best ways to do this??

kungkungan: right now we are thinking this would be a good resort for us - it shoudl be ok even at this time of the year because it is more protected then the opposite side of the island (Manado) Anyone been here? thoughts? comments?

thank you all inadvance! I am itn eh planning stages so all information is help ful!!! also if oyu htink there is a better spot to dive more accessible from tokyo let me know!

You picked mostly the worst moment to go to Manado, and it's not that much better on the other side ... If i were you ( i know i'm not ) i will secure my hollydays so far from home, avoiding the possibility to be inside a bungalow watching the rain falling most of the day and ruining the already low visibility of the water in lembeh strait. + Tokoy- singapore/Singapore-manado.
As i would have not so much time, and asuming that i am a macro lover, i will take a flight Tokyo manila then go to Puerto Galera ( stay in white beach ( pacific divers ) ) with just one or two evening in Sabang ( new years eve? ) . Maybe i will think about doing a short cruise to Apo Reef ( including new year eve? ). Less flight, less rain. Just watch a map.

Thanks hallboy -

Would Manila be that much beter weather wise? I am still open on ideas. And yes we are macro lovers - but honestly we just love to dive and since we are relatively in experienced it doesn't take as much to make us happy.

We can't chagne the time of year - and tokyo is firm. but if there is a more weather "friendly" spot that we can get to I will definitly look into it

FWIW, I have been to Lembeh in December and it didn't rain. It was a little strange seeing the kids visit Santa on the 3rd of December though. A little rain when diving will not spoil your trip. Viz in Lembeh Strait is not that great to begin with so what's the diff? It's warm rain.

One flight option is NYC (or similar) to LAX, Lax to Narita, Narita to Singapore, Singapore to Manado. Return the same way. The least costly Singapore airlines flight makes an hour stop at Narita (Tokyo) so you could deplane there and when ready to resume the trip go from Narita to Singapore, Sinapore to Manado.

I've met a few east coasters that traveled thru Eurpoe to end up in Singapore. The flight time was about the same but I believe they went East from NYC and around the globe that way.

Hope this helps. I'll be back in Indonesia August and September this year.

Here's my trip report on KBR and Tasik Ria.
http://dive.scubadiving.com/members/tripreports.php?s=2853

http://dive.scubadiving.com/members/tripreports.php?s=2904

Sandra

thanks so muhc sandra - I am going to go read your report.

I am hopng not to go thru LAX. There are direct flights to Narita from NYC. now I just need to see what is more economical, to book two different flights; NYC > Narita >NYC

Naritia >Manado >Narita

Or do a open Jaw. research here I come!

Silk Air is the Singapore Airlines affiliated local carrier that flys the Singapore/Manado route. However, they only fly it three or four days a week. I'm pretty sure that their current schedule is Monday, Wednesday and Saturday and they might have a Friday flight also. I don't know how that works into your dates.

As for the weather, we've only been there in June so I don't know how Christmas would be. Vis is always pretty bad so I can't imagine it would make much difference if it was raining or not. As for surface intervals, they are always spent back at the resort and the rides to the sites are 10-15 minutes on covered boats.

Now is an excellent time to purchase tickets as there is a special on Manado good until at least end of March 2006 (tommorow) . I have seen LAX-Manado via Singapore (Singapore Airlines from LAX to Singagpore, SIlk Air to Manado) for US$1303 on CheapTickets.com (all taxes except the international departture tax from Manado which is 75,000 rupiah, payable in cash after check in, less than US$10)

wystiria:
Thanks hallboy -

Would Manila be that much beter weather wise? I am still open on ideas. And yes we are macro lovers - but honestly we just love to dive and since we are relatively in experienced it doesn't take as much to make us happy.

We can't chagne the time of year - and tokyo is firm. but if there is a more weather "friendly" spot that we can get to I will definitly look into it

Weatherwise, the Andaman coast of Thailand should be well into the dry season by late December.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom