North or South Male atoll in February?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Finn82

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi,

Can someone help us to choose between these two areas where to dive next February. We stay 11 days and plan to do some land based diving. I have read that South Male atoll is concentrated more to diving in channels in strong currents. North Male atoll has been said to have better corals and more diversity. Is this true?
We like "easy" diving when the vis is good and currents not so strong. Ideal depth could rather be around 20m than 30 metres. Big stuff rather than macro life and colourful corals are on top in our wish list. Wrecks are not for us and don't give many extra points when choosing a location. Based on what I have read so far seems that North Male atoll would be more pleasant for us but I don't know how relialable information I have. We are AOW divers with 50 dives...
Thanks in advance!

I'd go N Male for diving. Currents are strongest in the channels. If you don't like current, don't sign up for dives with 'kandu' or 'Express' in the site title :) However it is possible to hang around on some outer corners where the current may be weaker. As soon as you turn to go 'inside', then the current picks up.

Inner reefs (oftne called 'giri' or 'faru' are much more protected, but there are some faru reefs close to the channels which can get strong currents.

'Thila' reefs are pinnacles which may or may not get current (depends on the proximity to the channel). My website has more info on the different types of reefs one would typically encounter in the Maldives.

If the dive map has a lot of gorgonian fans, this would indicate current as well.

Thank you supergaijin! I see you have great website with very useful information. It is great that you are so active with helping people in here.

I found one more suitable accommodation for us from Rasdhoo island in Ari atoll. It is close to hammer head point. Acdcording to my knowledge conditions in Feb are great in east side of atolls. Do you think that that area would be good to us? I am afraid that famous manta and whale shark sites might be too far from that location but there seems to be other reasonable good dive sites in N. Ari area as well?!

I have never dived in Rasdhoo Atoll but am fairly familiar with the sites in N and S Ari Atoll. Hammerheads are generally deep and I believe the dives are scheduled at dawn and are often blue-water descents and ascents without a reef for visual reference.

Feb should have predominantly incoming currents on the eastern side, meaning good viz but mantas generally like the downstream side ie. western side during Feb. Certain locations have conditions which pool plankton and may well be against this trend. For example, the SE of Ari is a hotspot for whalesharks year round irrespective of current direction.

Your first post mentioned you enjoy shallower dives and wanted big stuff without a lot of current. For that I would look towards the South Ari- the closer you get to Maamigili, the easier it is to spot whalesharks and mantas. These animals are not normally associated with strong currents here in the Maldives. Whalesharks here are seen more often at 15ft than 50ft. Manta cleaning stations are often a bit deeper at around 40-60 feet, but are also sometimes seen at the surface.

As always, a liveaboard/safari is your best option for diving the Maldives. Resorts can quickly become very pricey although a few 3* remain reasonable (for the Maldives). Perhaps you can get a deal at Sun Island in Ari Atoll which is very close to Maamigili. True budget options are very limited in the Maldives but this is slowly changing.

Since the bleaching of the mid-nineties, many traditional diving resorts re-branded themselves as luxury spas and retreats. The profits from a 60min back rub is enormous compared to diving :D

Finn

Rasdhoo is a wonderful dive area. The terrain, coral and fish life are beautiful, but there can be a bit of current flowing.

I would not give a lot of thought to the hammerhead dive. It involves being in the water at sunrise and hanging in the blue at around 30m hoping the hammerheads will come up from the depths and pay you a visit. If they do it may be brief. They quite often do not.

John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom