North of Auckland - ideas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MA

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,

Myself and a few friends are heading over from Oz to dive the poor knights with Oceanblue Adventures over Easter.

We've decided to go early and give ourselves 4/5 days up north. Any tips on some good things to do or see or stay? I'm planning a couple of days diving Bay of Islands/canterbury and maybe rainbow warrior.

Thanks very much!

Foreget Rainbow Warrior, not worth it I reckon. Go to Tutukaka and dive the Poor Knights, fantastic! Bay of Islands are also great. I can recommend Northland Dive at Bay of Islands and Dive! Tutukaka at Poor Knights, both excellent operators.

Thanks poor Knights is the reason the trip! I've chartered a liveaboard through ocean blue

Northland sound great! Thanks!!

I'm headed to Goat Island north of Auckland on the weekend and will see if it's any good. Will let you know!

There is good diving to be had basing yourself in paihia bay of islands.
Equally going to Leigh and heading out with the guys running Goat Island dive is darn good. Little barrier is only 30 minutes boat ride on a calm day.
if you are from Auzzie then theres little need for a shakedown dive Im guessing but if you do then Goat island itself is a nice easy shallow dive spot. (or 10)
But to be honest there are so many options for dive spots at the knights I would stay at Oceans resort and head out with Yukon Dive. Ohh I HIGHLY recommend having at least one dinner at Scnapper rock in Tutakaka-amazing food and great atmosphere.

So I went to Goat Island and it's a fantastic and beautiful place to dive!

Thanks all i've just seen these replies having spent all day getting bookings in!

You are right, no need for a shakedown dive, i dive nearly every weekend here in Melbourne :) Love where i live.

we have a few nights at Paihia, and will just do some landbased activities - im keen to see the area. then a day or two diving around Bay of Islands with Northland dive. Looks like i'll miss Goat island but will keep it up my sleeve if i come over again.

Then the whole reason for heading over was for a liveboard with Oceanblue Adventures that i've chartered for the Poor knights. so 5 nights on that: dive, dive, dive :D

And i am definitely going to try that restaurant - perhaps the before jumping on the boat and then again when i get off just to check my first impressions were correct. Thanks for the tip!! If you have any for paihia they will be most welcomed!

Thanks once again all! And crispy glad to hear you enjoyed Goat island!

Ok BOI- theres heaps to do there.I would try taking one of the boat trips through hole in the rock for definite.
Ill think on it for other suggestions

Reactions: MA

Back
Top Bottom