North-ish FL recomendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LStewart

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I/we are looking at going to Fl to dive Memorial w/e. We might make a 4 day weekend out of it. What would be the best options? Diving the springs- I'm thinking Ginnie, Blue Grotto, Troy and/or maybe Devil's Den? Or off-shore diving anywhere from Pensacola to Crystal River area? I didn't include Vortex and Morrison since that's where we were certified back in Nov. Since we'll be driving down from Knoxville, TN I don't want to go much farther south.
My wife and I are pretty new with only 20 dives (most in Roatan) and are only OW cert'd.

Suggest away! :)

Thanks!

Larry

I wouldn't ho near Ginnie on a summer holiday. It will be packed with drunks.

What he said…

And same thing goes for devils den. They'll be packed with college kids doing the same. DD allows snorkeling. :facepalm:

Blue Grotto is nice, but I prefer to avoid it on weekends when it can get busy. its a nice place, but be careful to stay off the silt bottom or you will trash the viz.

Might want to look into Crystal River, or Rainbow River. Both can be nice OW dives.

Both Paradise and Orange Grove are open for OW divers, but both can get into cavern zones easily if your not cautious. Might be able to find somebody local willing to go there with you and show you around. (not required, but might make for more of a fun dive)

Blue Grotto to Pensacola is a pretty long drive, maybe around 7 hours. If you've only got four days, I would try to limit the number of places you visit so as to maximize dive time and minimize drive time. Offshore, you can find some really nice diving in the Panhandle. Pensacola, Destin/Ft. Walton, Panama City, all have charters. I would personally avoid Panam City, too much of a college party scene for my tastes. Pensacola or Destin would probably be your best bet for the least driving and good offshore diving, but if the weather doesn't cooperate, you've pretty much only got Vortex and Morrison close by, which you've already seen.

Blue Grotto to Pensacola is a pretty long drive, maybe around 7 hours. If you've only got four days, I would try to limit the number of places you visit so as to maximize dive time and minimize drive time.

I agree that would be too much driving. We were thinking either Blue Grotto area for the weekend OR Destin area. I'm betting Vortex will be just like DD and Ginnie with overcrowding, right?

Might want to look into Crystal River, or Rainbow River. Both can be nice OW dives.

Both Paradise and Orange Grove are open for OW divers

I'll have to look into these more. I'm not familiar with the last 2.

Thanks!

I've only dove Vortex in the winter, but I would guess that memorial day weekend would be pretty crowded!

I dove rainbow river on a Memorial Day weekend(Sunday) last year and you better get there and get in line early. The parking lot fills up fast. But it is a nice drift dive but not that exciting. I'd find somewhere in the ocean and go that route personally.

You HAVE to hit the state parks.... Manatee Springs has Catfish Hotel and the main spring.... Catfish is covered in duckweed, do it early, do it first and be the first divers in for the day. Rinse off in the main spring.... After diving at Manatee Springs, drive north a bit and do a dive a Fanning Springs... it is shallow 20' at the spring basin... These 3 dives are a days worth.. make sure you have tanks... at LEAST 2 for the 3 springs, more if your SAC is high.

Blue Grotto is a better dive (deeper dive) than Devils Den.... I tended to keep devils den dives for when local shops were doing night dives there.... the night dives are cheaper... Again be there early for Blue Grotto, busy days make for low visibility.

Ginnie Springs is expensive and really not worth it unless you have a cavern cert... you can dive the ballroom as an open water diver but not a lot to see after a few dives into the ball room.... The springs run is fun, but again if your not cavern there isn't much to see.

Troy is awesome.... (also a state park) you can spend quite a while circling the walls of the basin looking for critters... but the best part is going out the the shipwreck (just ribs but still cool) Troy is the turtle spring you will see many as you swim to the wreck....

Itchnetuckny (also a state park) is an AWESOME snorkel and I heard something about either they were now open year round for cavern divers and MAYBE OW is allowed now??? not sure about that last part, but take your mask fins and snorkel and snorkel both the head spring and the area where the cavern is...

Orange Grove (at Peacock Springs State park) allows open water divers (its the first parking lot you drive to on way to Peacock) When you are done diving, do the interpretive walk (take bug spray) it will follow the cave above ground and has photos at certain spots of the cave below you.

NOW... the important info...
If you think you are going to go back more than once... a family park pass MIGHT be worth it... you can buy them at Itchnetuckney, Manatee Springs or Fanning Springs.... the family pass is $120 a year but covers ALL of the state parks in Florida..... Including entry for two people to Ellie Schiller WIldlife Park in Hommossasa and Weeki Wachee State park (live mermaid shows) in Spring Hill.... If there are more than just your wife and yourself.... I believe the park pass covers up to 6 divers as long as everyone is in same vehicle (sometimes they let you slide on being in 2 vehicles) and they don't have to be family...

All of the springs run on average 72 degrees.... Troy for some reason is 70....

I would make my base at Blue Grotto... specially if you don't have your own gear, then you can rent tanks and take them with you on the day you dive Manatee and Fanning... There currently is NO AIR FILLS near Manatee and Fanning... Blue Grotto is closest.... if you have your own gear, save Troy/Orange for your trip home making sure you have full cylinders on the way...

1st day Blue Grotto, 2nd day manatee and fanning, 3rd day Troy and Orange on way home.

Hope that all helps....

Tim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom