North East Pennsylvania dive question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveBandit

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Does anybody know if you can dive lake Wallenpaupack? If so, whats the scoop on the lake?

Thanks,
Dave

Yup, you can dive anywhere on the lake you like from a boat. No shore entry. Just spent the weekend pulling out a body of swimmer who had drowned over a week ago. Vis is about 6ft. bottom filled with tree stumps and alot of boats, fishing rods, etc. It's like an underwater flea market.

Thanks for the info. The swimmer must have looked real nice after a week on the bottom. Do you know of anywhere in the lake that is suitable to train open water divers?

Heading to Dutch or Willow Springs might be worth the drive. I've heard a rumor that there was a town at the bottom of Wallenpaupack but I'm not sure if it's true. I heard that a church steeple was within safe diving limits. Let us all know if you find out anything.
Not for dive training but some of the rapids on the Delaware are supposed to be great for collecting camping equipment. Pretty much drift dives.

I lived up in NEPA for 13 years and moved down to Tampa 5 years ago. Only after I became an Instructor, and now that I'm considering moving back, did I look into diving oppurtunities in PA. Seems like there are more spots than you would think. Not to mention the Atlantic, finger lakes, and great lakes.
I fished "the Pack" for years and never even thought about diving it. I had always been told the story about a town being flooded when they created the lake, next year I may get a chance to see for myself. I Instruct full time down here, but I'll need to figure out what I'll do full time up there as you obviously don't dive year round in PA.

Drift diving the rapids??? thats got to be interesting. And they call me crazy for cave diving....

Dutch is your best bet for OW training in the area. Check with a few of the area shops for employment. :D

We always dove year round in PA. I even got certified during a snowstorm. One of the best things about NE PA is that you're less than 5 hours from the Thousand Islands, best wreck diving out there as far as I'm concerned. As for a career, you could dive in PA during the summers and head south for the winters.

I think you're thinking about Nockamixon for the underH2O town, its a manmade lake. I don't know about walenpaupack though.
Dutch is a Premiere Training Facility.
I dive Pa year round.

The underwater town was actually moved by the power company before flooding. It wasn named Wilsonville or Wilson. You can find the whole story in the Lakes website. You can still see foundations telephone poles and roads. Thats about it, everything else is myth.

As far as dive instrustor opportunites, there are several shops in the region. We are all a tight group and always looking for instructors. Give us a call when you figure out where your moving.

As far as Dutch, it's "ok" with nice facilites. Good for training but I can't call it premiere Much better training areas in the region with a whole lot less of problems associated with it. Also rather pricey, but still something to do for at least a day or two.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom