North Coast Party and vintage dive report.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eric Sedletzky

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I had my annual Big Huge North Coast Party and Dive last weekend at Albion and I wanted to tell you guys about it.

History:
Every year for the last 10 years I put on a big camp and dive party up on the North Coast of California. I've moved it around to two different counties and had it at three different campgrounds in the past and we've finally decided to permanently hold it at Albion River Campground.
http://www.albionrivercampground.com

This year I went as far as to construct a full wooden varnished Tiki Bar complete with hawaiian red trim and bamboo facia for effect, full wet bar, microwave, blender, electric coffee pot, lighting, sound system, signs, a large covered awning, full pro size BBQ w/ mesquite charcoal, gas oven, full size proffesional high BTU range top stoves, and many big pots and wok pans to cook up all the fish, abalone, and scallops we got.
It's almost out of control it's becoming so huge.
We were up there for four days diving and partying.

The vintage dive:
On Saturady afternoon I took out a couple friends of mine out into Albion Cove. The ocean was torn up the whole weekend and going out of the cove was not an option. I was with Ross Overstreet and Claudette (HBDivegirl). Both of them are LA's elite full DIR, GUE trained divers completely decked out in full DIR compliant gear down to the big can lights and the 'Cuda scooters. I decided to do a full vintage dive wearing nothing but a single 72 with J rod, a plain strap harness with tank resting directly on my back, DA Aquamaster, oval mask, Aqualung duck feet copies (they suck BTW), no spg, no BC, no computer, just a depth and timing device and a compass, that's it.
I know we like to poke fun at each other on the board with pins about DIR vs minimalst/ vintage blah blah, but these two are the nicest people you would ever want to meet. Claudette turned out to be probably in the ninety eight percentile of the most capable divers I've ever had on my boat. Ross says she works out like an animal just so she can do this sport and it shows. Ross is like a brother from a different mother to me (Claudette's term).

OK, so I splash, then they splash and we went our separate ways. Somehow we meet up during the dive, which was unplanned, it just happened. I'm looking at two full DIR'd out divers, and they're looking at a Sea Hunt replica looking for enemy divers (or a big fish - I had my spear gun with me). Wow talk about contrast and a surreal moment.:shocked2:
Ross hands me his "Cuda scooter and insists I take it for a spin. I didn't have a crotch strap with a D ring with the strap harness I made so I just hung on to the trigger handle with one hand and the prop guard on the other side with the other hand and let 'er rip! Woweee!!! that thing is fun!! what power. I was flyin' all over doing barrel rolls. I even took off and went around a small pinnacle and met up back with Ross and handed back his scooter. Now thats a concept, using a 'cuda with minimalist vintage gear, I like it! The DA was just breathin' away and I was flying to the moon!

Anyway, I had a fat fill on my 72 and got 45 minutes out of it before it started to breath hard and I had to pull the J. We met up back to the boat at the same time.
Then we went back to the camp and had a Luau and proceeded to blend up drinks and drink beers and eat. I even was able to find Primo beer for this.:cool2:

Here is some video and stills that Ross got from the trip:
http://ross-o.smugmug.com/Underwater/Mendocino-Aug-2010/13329378_4yS6d#968920214_Psv8v

The food:
Smoked kalua pork
Sweet polynesian baby back ribs slathered in hawaiian barbecue sauce
Pulled pork wrapped in banana leaves
Three different tropical fruit salads
Korean cut marinated beef ribs (cut crosswise very thin)
Skewered teriyaki chicken strips with pineapple and mushrooms
Beer battered fresh abalone made with Longboard beer
Beer battered fresh lingcod
Teriyaki skewered fresh scallops
Yam french fries
Poi
Home made potstickers - big thanks to Tao Hua
Pineapple upside down cake
Three coconut cream pies
More stuff but I can't think of it right now

Everything home made
:D
I'm happy

Attachments

• Eric in Vintage 1.jpg
    Eric in Vintage 1.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 57
Last edited by a moderator:
WOW! :amazed: That looks like one great spread. With food like that I'm in for sure next year. Hey Eric, was that photo of you on your boat before or after the Mai Tai's he, he, he:D anyway it looks like fun was had by all. Thx for the report.

Then there was the char siu pork, the lingcod in green curry, the grilled veggies and pineapple, not to mention the guava cake.

Damn it was ALL so good!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom