Nootka Sound / Tahsis - Trip Report June 6 -9

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coldwaterlloyd

Contributor
Reaction score
My Dive Buddy and I headed out June 6 for a Mini three day dive trip . Get out of town and Dive , Eat , Sleep repeat.

Nootka Sound is on the Central West Coast of Vancouver Island . A five hour drive from our home in Victoria .

We stopped for a charter in Campbell River with Abyssal Charters . They cover Discovery Passage which is a narrow body of water between Vancouver Island and Quadra Island .
I have dove this area once before and rank it as world class . My buddy has only dove southern Vancouver Island which is great , but a little less colorful than Discovery Passage .
First dive was a spot called "Row and be Damned" . The current was just enough to carry us past the wall which has a background of strawberry anemones . The non swimming life in itself is enough to mesmerize a diver here , let alone getting in the middle of a school of large rock-fish of various species .
Fifteen years has past since I last dove off Quadra Island and it was as good as ever .
Best part was listening to buddy rave about the dive afterward .
It is like giving someone a colour TV who has only watched black and white .
Abyssal Charters is a first rate outfit , They know the area and its currents inside out , if you dive Discovery Passage these are the guys you want .

Second dive was Copper Cliffs which I have heard about before . The topside scenery in itself is amazing , again under the surface was the stuff we dream about .
The current had picked up and the back eddies had their way with us . It did not matter , anywhere the washing machine put us there was an amazing array of life to see . We both surfaced laughing , great dive no doubt.

After a nice lunch on the pier we headed for Tahsis for our next two days of diving .
The drive is 2.5 hours more or less , we saw four Black Bear and a huge herd of Elk . Crystal clear rivers and lakes , and a triple arm 1500 foot waterfall .
I am born and raised on Vancouver Island and the scenery blew me away . Like being in the Rockies on the west coast .

Tahsis is a great little village . Use to be a thriving logging and fishing community , is now reduced to summer fishing tourism , it is clean , friendly and beautiful , nestled at the foot of Nootka Sound surrounded by snow cap mountains and glaciers , and here is the best part , the diving is world class and stupid easy .

Tahsta Dive Charters handled our dive needs . We did two morning dives , back to town for lunch , and an afternoon dive .
Scott and Jude are as nice as you find anywhere , talk about accommodating . They know every nook and cranny in the area , in between dives was a scenic history lesson , what a gas .

I have near 1000 dives all over the planet , one spot there is as good as any dive I have ever seen . Scott knows the place , it is very special , a background of strawberry anemones , Cloud Sponges , cold water corals , Rock Scallop's clustered like grapes all in one small area you can see in a 45 minute dive . Very special spot .

Nootka Sound stretches 20 miles to the open sea from Tahsis , little arms and protected areas everywhere , each dive we did had its own personality , like diving 3 different seas on one trip . No such thing as a bad dive in Nootka Sound , but some are a little better than others.

I plan on going back to Nootka Sound and dive with Tahtsa Charters on a regular basis , to think I can drive to this place with no planes , ferries , trains ... priceless

Attachments

• tahsis 12.jpg
    tahsis 12.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 116
  • Tahsis.jpg
    Tahsis.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
I've wanted to visit Thasis for a while now and maybe this summer I'll get around to it. Where did you stay when you were there?

Scott and Jude have great options for accommodation's , we stayed at Maquinna , there are better options for divers .

Andrew!!! We are going to Tahsis June 25-27th... pm me for more info! I'm going to send you a msg on facebook too, there is only 1 spot left!

That is so exciting! I, too, am headed to Tahsis soon. I am so pleased to hear the positive reports; not many folks seem to get up that way.

Cheers,
VI

We stopped for a charter in Campbell River with Abyssal Charters . They cover Discovery Passage which is a narrow body of water between Vancouver Island and Quadra Island .
I have dove this area once before and rank it as world class . My buddy has only dove southern Vancouver Island which is great , but a little less colorful than Discovery Passage .
First dive was a spot called "Row and be Damned" . The current was just enough to carry us past the wall which has a background of strawberry anemones . The non swimming life in itself is enough to mesmerize a diver here , let alone getting in the middle of a school of large rock-fish of various species .
Fifteen years has past since I last dove off Quadra Island and it was as good as ever .
Best part was listening to buddy rave about the dive afterward .
It is like giving someone a colour TV who has only watched black and white .
Abyssal Charters is a first rate outfit , They know the area and its currents inside out , if you dive Discovery Passage these are the guys you want .

Second dive was Copper Cliffs which I have heard about before . The topside scenery in itself is amazing , again under the surface was the stuff we dream about .
The current had picked up and the back eddies had their way with us . It did not matter , anywhere the washing machine put us there was an amazing array of life to see . We both surfaced laughing , great dive no doubt.

I have been wondering why Abyssal doesnt take divers to the really good sites?
Next time ask him to put some effort into it and take you to Richmond Reef, Steep Island or April Point Wall. If you think Copper Cliffs and Row and Be Damned are good, these other sites will knock your fins off!:D

Scott and Jude are top notch. They will be your family in Tahsis that you have to go visit every time you get a chance! Oh and the diving is awesome also.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom