Noobie Diver wanting to get into underwater photography

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

askdjasd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Newly cert.. Looking to share the expirience with others. What's a cheap but good dig camera to purchase and the additional cost of the housing? Preferb if it could record video but not mandatory.

Looking for something to help me out and also get me hooked on photography.

There are lots of good cameras out there. Check the pink links on Alcina's signature for current favorites or just read some of the threads here. I would not recommend that you dive with any of them at your level of experience. If you're sure you want to take pictures: Get one of these cameras and learn to use it topside. Learn to use full manual settings. Learn about aperture and shutter speeds and lighting direction. Then when you've got an absolute minimum of 75 dives under your belt, and you're completely comfortable with your buoyancy, deep diving skills, limited visibility skills, buddy communication, emergency skills and how much air you use, take it underwater. A new diver, no matter how adept, doesn't have the experience to combine the task load of taking pictures with the very serious task of safe diving.
Also, cameras come and go quickly these days, and when the camera is discontinued usually the housings are already long gone. You might wait to get the camera/housing at the same time when your diving level affords it. Taking an underwater photography specialty course after you get your advanced open water is a good way to get started.

I would look @ a Canon A series, 570IS(if you can still find them---camera & housing were going for around $300 total) or the newer version A720IS-not sure of the cost on these.....Check @ Amazon.com---they used to have the A570 for above price so they may be carrying the A720 also.....click on the 2 links in my sig, all were taken with the A570(bought for a little over $300 for camera & Canon housing in spring of '07).....also, these are VERY easy to use, almost a point & shoot , just vary about 2 or 3 things)......good luck & let us know what you find out & decide on....Also as said before, see Alcina's info in her sig, great info there.....

Pinky Linky in my sig :wink: Tons of information on getting started and on various models. You can also cruise through the subforums for recent conversations on various options.

As you are newly certified you have a lot to think about, so I would suggest that you plan on doing two things: one - get in the water and dive as much as possible and two - look for a small underwater camera rig. Taking good photos isn't easy and the ONLY way to get good photos is to have complete control over your diving skills. I think taking a camera with you, assuming you are reasonably competent in your diving skills already, even if you don't take a lot of photos, is a great way to start building the skills you need.

Just don't expect National Geo shots from your first dives :wink:

Have FUN!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom