Non scuba valves...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:rolleyes: Finally found it full page in my own compfuser archives...

Yoke mating dimensions.jpeg

Excellent explanation, thanks, Rambler.
So T in NGT is for Taper, and T in NPT is for Thread. Interesting.

the "T" in NGT and NPT refers to taper not "thread"

Tapered CGA870 valves are sometimes used in small steel med o2 bottles
Aluminum med O2 cylinders use straight thread with o ring seals

870 valves are not used in large bulk O2 cylinders just the 4-20cf ish sizes

CGA870 is a pin index medical O2 valve. I can't find anything online referring to CGA850. Can you point me to an example? As my name says, I'm curious to learn.

A-clamp or yoke connectors - the connection on the regulator surrounds the valve pillar and presses the output O-ring of the pillar valve against the input seat of the regulator. The connection is officially described as connection CGA 850 yoke.

Compressed Gas Association (1990). Handbook of Compressed Gases (3rd ed.). New York City: Chapman and Hall. p. 229. ISBN 978-1-4612-8020-0. Retrieved 17 January 2016.

the "T" in NGT and NPT refers to taper not "thread"

You're 100% correct. I'm the first in a long line of pipefitters and master plumbers to break away from the family trade and "do my own thing," despite being started on the jobsite well before I turned 10. In our house, it was always "National Pipe Thread," which several of our supply houses reflected as well. I've heard this debate more times than I can count, never really cared enough to settle it for good - everybody's convinced they're right. I honestly chalked it up to being a colloquialism, just depends how you were brought up, so I never really cared what people called it either way. NPT was always just understood to be tapered, NPS straight.

Machinery's Handbook (29th ed.):
The symbol designations are as follows: NPT - American National Standard Taper Pipe Thread;

I guess ANSTPT was too cumbersome?

But going all the way to the source:
ASME B1.20.1-2013:
1.3.2 Each of these letters in the symbols has significance as follows:
N = National (American) Standard
P = Pipe
T = Taper

So, Machinery's Handbook wasn't too far off the mark. Technically NASPT, not ANSTPT :eyebrow:

Edit for clarity.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom