Non-Nikon strobe for Nikon J-1 housing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KeysCuda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi, folks.
Question: Is there an UW strobe - Ikelite, whatever - that can be used with a Nikon 1 housing (WP-N1) for the Nikon J1? Photos, not video.
I'm assembling an UW digital package of a J1 with the Nikon-specific housing. But the strobe unit costs around $750. Since I got the camera and housing for much less than that, I'm seeking an affordable alternative.
Beneath the hot shoe (which is not hot) are two transparent ports that seem like (?) they could be used to trigger a slave. (See image).

Any thoughts?
Also considering an LED video light, which I realize is less than ideal, but there are a ton of them out there.

Thanks!
DSC_2059x.JPG

Almost any strobe/lighting package that has fibe optic sync can work.

We have a cool new Kraken 2500 light that has 2500 lumens and flashes to 4000 when you trigger the camera flash. It also works in red and blue (UV) modes. So you can shoot both video and stills with it.

This package with the tray is only $565
Kraken Flexarm & 2500 Macro Edition Strobe/Light Set

View attachment 450992
In case you think the above post is mostly a sales pitch, I claim Jack has been way too subtle in providing links to some great learning resources. Follow his links, read and learn. Search for more info.

Based upon the original post I claim the OP will benefit from some light reading about "underwater lighting". Many (most, all?) of the big name underwater camera gear suppliers have great "reference" / "tutorial" whitepapers. Jack embedded a few of his. Follow the links and read the content. Search out other related content from other sellers. Read lots and ask more questions.

Some basic concepts are:
- underwater you can go "strobes" (think a normal camera flash that is happy to get wet)
OR
constant always on video lights that might also flash (this is the new latest & greatest voodoo stuff that may work perfectly for you?)
- in the old days a strobe was a strobe and a video light was a video light
- lately these 2 distinct concepts have been crashing together and causing lots of confusion as LED video lights are now starting to strobe a bit...

So search, read & learn and then ask more questions.

A direct answer to the OP:
The "transparent ports" (please do not call them ports as a camera housing port is something different) on your housing are standard Sea & Sea optical fibre cable connections. 2 connections to support 2 strobes via a pair of fibre optic cables.

There are several manufacturer's of compatible scuba strobes. I claim the most popular are Sea & Sea or Inon. There are others.

Thanks, Giffenk.

The digital strobes are a different world for me.

I shot UW pix for a long time - with a Nikonos V, 15mm lens and an Ikelite 150, until they became virtually obsolete.
Now I'm getting back in, as much as I can afford.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom