Non-liveaboard recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jslide

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi, all. With thanks to all the commenters who've been an incredible resource before, I'm back and looking for suggestions.

Wife and I are planning two weeks in the Maldives in January. We've got about 150 dives apiece. We've done both liveaboards and land stays before (and recognize the appeal of each), and prefer staying on land.

Any strong recommendations for particular islands (resort or not) to treat as home for the trip, based on the quality of the underwater experience?

Thanks in advance...

Is it possible to visit some of the Maldives, best diving by doing land based and is it reasonably easy to achieve that ?

Is it possible to visit some of the Maldives, best diving by doing land based and is it reasonably easy to achieve that ?
Hi!

Though it's been a while since our last Maldives trip, I've done a bit of land-based diving (from resorts) as not all family members are divers and a liveaboard inevitably means we don't get to spend any family time together during the holiday.

In my experience, most resort-based dive ops will offer one-tank dives three times a day, plus a night dive on some days. This means an early morning local dive, back to base for surface interval, a mid-morning local dive, back to base for lunch and early afternoon local dive. I would stay away from islands where this is the norm, as motoring distances mean you are constrained to much more local dive sites.

In contrast, some dive centres will offer two-tank morning dives, with a surface interval spent on the boat. A few will even offer all-day trips, departing early in the morning and back late in the afternoon. Needless to say, this allows for greater travel range and, therefore, you are able to dive more distant sites.

As with most diving destinations (Bonaire is an exception that springs to mind), liveaboard is the way to go in the Maldives, hands down. But if this is not an option you can consider, then choose an island in the area/atoll you are most interested in and make sure the dive centre doesn't do just one-tank dives.

I should probably add that large resort islands with a large number of rooms will typically mean greater numbers of divers, resulting in a better likelihood of "special" offerings: full-day trips, night dives, etc.

As a side note, you should remember that land-based diving in the Maldives means you are also more constrained by local weather conditions, whereas on a liveaboard the captain/cruise director will simply adjust the itinerary to avoid rough weather. I've personally found myself on a resort island in August being unable to dive because the sea was too rough for the dhoni to sail out.

I hope that makes sense.

2 weeks on one island in the Maldives will be painful, the first day you walk around the island clockwise and the second day anti clockwise and then repeat, by day 3 you will have visited all the bars and restaurants and by day 5 or 7 the menu's / entertainment will be on repeat along with the dive sites.

I would recommend doing at least 2 and possibly 3 resorts. we did 12 days at a surf island (Lohi Fishi) with some diving a few years ago and we both were quite bored by the end due to a lack of variety within the resort

The diving was great, lots of big rays and done sharks etc. There was a lot of current so all dives were drift on the island I stayed at, but in general the dives were great and up there with Indonesia, Philippines and Similians etc

Can you do the best diving by land based moving from island to island?

I’ve done both resort and loveabord also. Both were good. We stayed at Lux south ari atoll. It was a wonderful resort but expensive. You’d need to do full board because there is nowhere else to eat because the resort is the whole island. It is big for a resort with at least 7 restaurants. The diving is really good close to the resort. The liveabord did some sites close to there also. They are known for whale sharks right on the back of the resort. There is always liveabords and other boats looking for them. Any questions let me know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom