Non Diving activities in Nassau Bahamas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cgvmer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My family and I will be vacationing in Nassua, next week, my son's (13 and 17) and I have scheuduled a couple days of diving using Stuart Cove's.

So the real question is since many on the SB have vacationed there I am asking about recommended places to eat and other activities to do while there, especially for my non-diving wife and 8yr old daughter (who is really annoyed she is not allowed to dive ).

Would love local fare rather than fance places to eat.

So any info would be appreciated.

Snorkeling, jet ski/water bike, paddle boats, shopping...

We had a really good time on one of those $20pp tourbuses that are around the cruise dock. Toured the fort, the hills above Nassau and made some local stops ending at a semi-private beach for an hour.

Go to Atlantis. There's a lot for her to do there. Take her to the Dig, you'll enjoy it too, it has an underwater view of some of the aquariums/lagoons. Also they do fish feeding from about 10-3 at the different lagoons, there's even some way that kids can participate. There's a waterslide that goes right through the shark lagoon. Plenty of places to eat as well. You could spend a couple days there and not see it all.

You don't have to be guests to use the facilities.
http://www.atlantis.com/flash.aspx

I f you have some idea where you are going, you could try one of those little local buses that are all over Nassau. they only charge a buck (as of a few years ago), and they go just about everywhere. You can really get a dose of local color and culture this way. Of all the things that I did in Nassau, these little jitneys remain as one of my fondest memories. Woody

Atlantis was neat.

You can take a taxi or a water shuttle. (the water shuttle wasn't too safe though as they put 50 people on a boat that might have had 30 lifejackets hanging overhead).

Walking through the hotel is nice as they have a lot of fancy stuff, sculptures, etc. The "Dig" is the aquarium is is very nice. They have part of it that is outside the "pay section" if you don't want. To actually do the "big tour" of the aqarium is kinda pricey at $30 bucks or so per person.

The "straw market" is neat. it's in a tent at the end of the street near the cruise boat pier. It's mostly t-shirts, hats, and baskets that were made in china and then someone put a Bahamas logo on it. so it's lost a lot of it's character of actually being locally made goods.

The shopping in Nassau is decent, but not great. Lots of stuff is duty free such as alcohol, jewelry, tobacco, etc. For the most part it's pretty much like every other cruise boat port.

Your kids might enjoy the 'swim with dolphins' thing they do on the island.

Imperial for authentic food, x street from the British Colonial Hilton, yellow building.

alos the fish fry at Arawak cay, 1 mile from Nassau on the way to Cable beach

Thanks all..

We are staying near the Atlantis and plan to go there.

Any other restaurants for local fare would be appreciate, as the food at the Atlantis while good, is VERY expensive and not very Bahamian.

cgvmer:
Thanks all..

We are staying near the Atlantis and plan to go there.

Any other restaurants for local fare would be appreciate, as the food at the Atlantis while good, is VERY expensive and not very Bahamian.

Yes the Atlantis is VERY EXPENSIVE. A Kalik, which is the cheapest beer on the island, is $5 or $6 bucks there. American brands are considered "imports" and cost even more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom