NON dIR REGULATORS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

burbulithras

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I have been diving profecionaly(rec/instructor)and i have done a lot of air deep dives -60m with air with single tank.Recognising the danger of one tank one regulator no stage and in the demand to stay longer i am about to start tec diving.By the articles and with friends i am a fan of DIR diving and not a stroke.Since i have 2 Divex 950 regulators(they give air to a drowning point)but they are upstream so i ask from anyone opinions if the regulators are ok for tec and trimix as main regulators?

Wow....

I'm not DIR but I'd say you have far more problems with trying to be DIR than just what regulator you are using.

1. Stop diving air. Especially below 30m
2. Get yourself some gas redundncy. Doubles at least, but of you are doing 60m dives, I'd be staging, and have deco gas.
3. Get some downstream regs. Apeks, ScubaPro, something reliable and simple.
4. GET SOME TRAINING! This cannot be overemphasised. Moving to stage diving can be dangerous and complicated. Lots of good divers have died moving to staged diving.
5. Get your skills in order. Technical diving demands excellence if basic skills and problem management.

I expect you'll get a number of other quality posts from the DIR members...

I share PerroneFord's comments. Hopefully, it's mostly a "lost in translation" issue regarding your experience but DIR is not simply a matter of equipment. I'll leave it up to the DDD guys to do it right :D and set you straight though.

:14:
Thanks for the tips and info i believe education is the best way to find the proper way to dive right and safe, my post was not to say about how deep i go and how stupid that is with air, it was about the reg and how well it worked and if it is right for trimix dives,i ve tryed poseidon,apexs,scubapro,dacor,mares,cressi in deep air dives and no one was so flowless as divex.Do you have an opinion on the matter and i am not compering the regulators because all of them are good others very good but in a way of sensitivity and air volume none had as much as divex.Coming to my first question i ask if the reg is as relayable as the others and if it has been used by the DIR divers ?

Due to the complicated design, potential to freeze in the closed position, and potential to freeflow at low tank pressures, and inability to access the internals of the regulator underwater, upstream 2nd stage regulators are not considered DIR.

"am a fan of DIR diving and not a stroke"

Not to start any flames wars or anything, but i think you would indeed be qualified to be labelled "a stroke", even from none dir people :/

verybaddiver:
"am a fan of DIR diving and not a stroke"

Not to start any flames wars or anything, but i think you would indeed be qualified to be labelled "a stroke", even from none dir people :/
Stroke is historically a diver who is very unsafe and has no regard for improving his diving skill or safety.

I see no indication that this is the case with the poster.. he just has some regs and appears to want some opinions from DIR folk on whetherh they're suitable for tech diving. No big deal, let's not call anyone names and let's leave the word "stroke" in the history books where it belongs.

Soggy:
Due to the complicated design, potential to freeze in the closed position, and potential to freeflow at low tank pressures, and inability to access the internals of the regulator underwater, upstream 2nd stage regulators are not considered DIR.
Good points. Also remember that since trimix is less dense than air the amount of work you must do to breath will be less.

The point of this post is if the divex are ok regs for tec because my friends who ever thinks that downstream regs dont have failures and who ever thinks that when a reg free flowing is easy to breath or find the reg is mistaken.Its just better from the danger of not having a reg at all.Since you dive with double and with a buddy there are 4 regs and 4 tanks.As about DIR when i mean i am a fan i mean that it says good and tried results and points but it is not a relegion.As i recall most of the world record on an open circuit in open sea is with semicompressed neopren and not compressed or mebran dry suit somethind that is opposite of DIR theory,are those guys stoke divers?Also a lot of Poseidon regs are upstream does it mean they are not good regs?What i say and from some answers i understand that i was misunderstood about the deep dives i did without knowing the profile ,whow many persons and the conditions of the dive.Going with air under 40m is not good byt i recall that a lot of tec asotiations teach schools with air under 40m(TEC wreck PADI,extended rande TDI,IANTD).Are those asotiations strokes?
I also read that you can change the regs underwater but if who do that it may work or it may not it doesnt have to do with how copmlicated a reg is and for my opinion if a reg is properly used and maintenanced there is a little posibility to brake down. So does anybody use this regs for tec dives?(divex 950) and if so what is his opinion for them?

If you have been diving them to 60m then I guess they are ok for deep dives. On whether it can be use for Nitrox or other mixes as is I think you will have to consult your manual or get it O2 cleaned. But if you want proven reliability get the regulators more popular with the tec community, scubapro, apeks, poseidon, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom