Noisy scooters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Allison Finch

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
OK, I'm sure I might get flamed for this one, but here goes....

Yesterday, while diving a couple of wrecks in NC, I got really aggravated by a family on scooters. These wrecks were not so big that you couldn't easily fin from one end to the other.
I was having a really fun interaction with a very curious (and BIG!!) amberjack that kept coming right up to me. If I had wanted to, I could have reached out and touched him. All of a sudden he took off and disappeared. Yep, the scooter family had probably seen this and wanted to join the fun, I guess. They powered up to me with all the noise scaring everything away.
It's kinda like cross country skiing into a quiet wilderness area, enjoying the peace and quiet when, all of a sudden, you're surrounded by snowmobiles.
I know everyone deserves to indulge their fun toys, but maybe there should be some respect for other people's wishes too.
What do you think? Should they poll the boat for a consensus on the use of the scooters? Should they try to stay away from other divers? Am I the only one that dislikes the noise and intrusiveness?
Inquiring minds want to know.....

Allison Finch:
OK, I'm sure I might get flamed for this one, but here goes....

Yesterday, while diving a couple of wrecks in NC, I got really aggravated by a family on scooters. These wrecks were not so big that you couldn't easily fin from one end to the other.
I was having a really fun interaction with a very curious (and BIG!!) amberjack that kept coming right up to me. If I had wanted to, I could have reached out and touched him. All of a sudden he took off and disappeared. Yep, the scooter family had probably seen this and wanted to join the fun, I guess. They powered up to me with all the noise scaring everything away.
It's kinda like cross country skiing into a quiet wilderness area, enjoying the peace and quiet when, all of a sudden, you're surrounded by snowmobiles.
I know everyone deserves to indulge their fun toys, but maybe there should be some respect for other people's wishes too.
What do you think? Should they poll the boat for a consensus on the use of the scooters? Should they try to stay away from other divers? Am I the only one that dislikes the noise and intrusiveness?
Inquiring minds want to know.....

I have no problems with people using scooters. However, they should be considerate of other divers. The problem is that, in general these days, respect & consideration is not being taught to the kids like it used to be.

James

Allison Finch:
Should they try to stay away from other divers? Am I the only one that dislikes the noise and intrusiveness?
I bet if you wield a speargun (whether you plan to use it or not) the scooter gangs would give you a wide berth.

whitelightning.. on one hand your saying that you dont have a problem with scooters and then on the other hand say that people using scooters should be considerate to other divers..mind telling me how to do that?does this mean that people with scooters should wait there turn to get in the water?or that when in the water they should stay in a certain area of that water as to not bother other divers?not trying to cause anything i would just like you to explain ho to go about doing it..

snuggle:
whitelightning.. on one hand your saying that you dont have a problem with scooters and then on the other hand say that people using scooters should be considerate to other divers..mind telling me how to do that?does this mean that people with scooters should wait there turn to get in the water?or that when in the water they should stay in a certain area of that water as to not bother other divers?not trying to cause anything i would just like you to explain ho to go about doing it..
Yes, people on scooters should wait their turn to get in the water or stay outside of hearing range. Way outside of hearing range.

I don't know what whitelightening will say but I don't think that scooters belong on recreational dive boats. Ever. If a dive requires a scooter, it's because: (a) you're exceeding recreational limits, or; (b) you can't meet recreational standards.

I dive to escape the land world, please don't spoil it for my by bringing any more of it on the dive with you than is necessary.

I didn't say I didn't have a problem with scooters. I, obviously do. I said that everyone deserves to play with their toys. If I had a scooter, I would zip around the outer areas of an area and leave the "pokers" alone. I mean, the object of the scooters is to fly around and not poke around, right?
The ocean is a big place with room for all interests.

Allison Finch:
I didn't say I didn't have a problem with scooters. I, obviously do. I said that everyone deserves to play with their toys. If I had a scooter, I would zip around the outer areas of an area and leave the "pokers" alone. I mean, the object of the scooters is to fly around and not poke around, right?
The ocean is a big place with room for all interests.
My apologies, Allison. I didn't intend my remarks to be specific to you - or to anyone one else in particular. I like scootering, it's great good fun but, as you discovered, it's pretty anti-social.

snuggle:

Well, it seems to me that the wreck was a little larger than an average car. If I was scootering around on it, I would try to stay away from divers who are not using one. Scooters are wonderful tools/toys but there is no reason you can't be considerate of other divers & use a little discretion as to where you drive yours.

James

reefraff:
..snip..
I don't think that scooters belong on recreational dive boats. Ever. If a dive requires a scooter, it's because: (a) you're exceeding recreational limits, or; (b) you can't meet recreational standards.

..snip..

I didn't really understand this remark. Can you explain it?
I know a few people that when we are diving wrecks, tie a (long) line to the wreck and then run large area search patterns around the wreck. They don't interfere with the divers on the wreck.
What makes their diving non-recreational?
They stay at the same depth for the same time as the other divers.

If a diver on a scooter scared off a creature that I was observing (or worse trying to take a picture) I think I would be just a little ticked...Okay maybe really ticked. In fact that diver would be capable of permanent jet propulsion from their rectal area, because that is where I would shove that scooter.

As stated scooters are great tools but people who use them should stay away from divers that are interested in getting close to the local wildlife.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom