noisy sartek can light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BabyDuck

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
this is just fyi, and to see if anyone else has noticed this with other types or brands.

about 6 weeks ago, i was diving in peacock 1. we had turned, and i heard a high-pitched whine coming from somewhere. it sounded like a mosquito buzzing. didn't sound like a beeping computer, wasn't jean singing the chicken dance (which she had been doing earlier!), couldn't figure it out.

it got a bit louder, and i realized it was coming from my can light ballast. i put it to my ear, to be sure, and BOOM BOOM - out go the lights! and the noise quit, too.

yep, primary failure. went to backup, no problems, finished the dive safely.

i just was curious if anyone else had noticed anything similar, and to have you put it in the back of your mind if you start hearing a mosquito underwater!:D

no, just out of juice. needed to be charged, & back to normal after.

though it did happen again a day later, since i didn't have time to give it a full charge, which would be about 24 hrs but i was diving again in about 18. i guess with it that depleted, it didn't come as close to full as it usually does.

BabyDuck:
this is just fyi, and to see if anyone else has noticed this with other types or brands.

about 6 weeks ago, i was diving in peacock 1. we had turned, and i heard a high-pitched whine coming from somewhere. it sounded like a mosquito buzzing. didn't sound like a beeping computer, wasn't jean singing the chicken dance (which she had been doing earlier!), couldn't figure it out.

it got a bit louder, and i realized it was coming from my can light ballast. i put it to my ear, to be sure, and BOOM BOOM - out go the lights! and the noise quit, too.

yep, primary failure. went to backup, no problems, finished the dive safely.

i just was curious if anyone else had noticed anything similar, and to have you put it in the back of your mind if you start hearing a mosquito underwater!:D

not enough voltage/current.. ballast goes into oscillation then quits..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom