Nocturnal Lights TL50 Extreme review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jim Lapenta

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
On wednesday of last week I received my TL50 Extreme cannister light. Upon opening the box I was impressed!:D Inside was a nice shiny textured black case that said nocturnal lights on it.:14: Inside the case was the prettiest thing I've seen in a long time. A black cannister attached by a heavy duty yet very flexible 56 inch cord to a light head 2 1/2inches long by 2 3/4 inches in dia. Included was the quick charger with plenty of cord and universal adapter. Also inside were three spare bulbs, a 12v 20w 4700k, a 12v 50w 60 degree, and a 12v 20w 60 degree. Along with the 50w that was in the light head. After a phone call to Tim to get the instructions emailed to me which he did immediately,they got overlooked when he packed it up to send to me, I disassembled the cannister and hooked the light up to the charger. The next morning after it had been on the charger for the recommended min of 10 hours but no more thgan 20 I reassembled the light and stepped out on my porch and turned it on. This was about 5 am and as soon as I turned it on and aimed it towards my yard I thought HOLY CRAP!! :D :D The neighbors are gonna call the cops! It seemed that bright! :14: I have never turned on a flashlight with that kind of power. Even the spots we used to use for deer that plugged into the cigarette lighter didn't come close to this intensity. I reluctantly turned it off as I had to get to work. It would soon be put to the test though as I was heading to the lake that night. After gearing up I entered Mt. Storm Lake just after 7:45 just as it was getting dark. Vis was excellent for the lake and it was smooth as glass on the surface. Water temp was about 63 and I was diving dry so I had plenty of time. At about 12 ft I turned on the light and it was as if the sun came back up. I have a Q40 on my mask strap and was using it. Noow for it's size it's a pretty bright little light with a tight beam and as soon as I turned on the 50 it's beam disappeared. I headed for the first 25 ft platform in beam of light that lit up everything in it's path. The first platform is a 10x12 and the entire structure was clearly illuminated and beyond to about 5 ft. So figure this light lit up a 15x17 area in a lake where 10-12 ft vis is something to celebrate. Granted vis was good but I've not seen anyone else's shockwave, light cannon, or any other 10w HID light things up like this thing did. By the time I headed for the motorcycle 100 ft to the left of the platform it was dark on the surface but down below you would not know it. I spent about 45 minutes under water and the light performed flawlessly. I followed the instructions and disassembled the light when I got back to my hotel and hooked it onto the charger. 4 hrs later the light was green on the charge indicator and I replaced the 50 with a 20 watt 4700 bulb for the next days dives. The first dive on friday was a deep dive to 125 ft to determine the direction and distance of this deep spot. Again it performed flawlessly. The dive lasted a little over an hour with deco stops and I had no problems with the light and the 20watt bulb was more than enough. After a good surface interval and the arrival of a few more buddies we did a deep specialty dive to 70 ft to navigate out a wall and back. One of the new guys had a shockwave LED and even with only the 20 watt in my Nocturnal the beam of his shockwave was completely washed out. Needless to say everyone was impressed. Overall the construction of the light is excellent. The buoyancy characteristics are excellent I did not notice any effect on my trim even though I had it mounted to the right side d-rings on my probe bc for this particular weekend. I will most likely however be moving it to my tank in some way in the future for convenience and to give more protection to the cannister. This will also allow me to route the cable in a more efficient manner. The mounting options really are great with the hardware provided with the light. It can be mounted on the strap or belt, the d-rings allow for bp with ease and the screw type oval rings can be used to secure it to any number of places. I could not be more pleased with this light. I hope to talk the owner of the shop I work for into carrying the entire line. In fact if i had gotten a bigger tax refund I would have gotten an SL 50 also as a back up to this.:D

I'm not as ambitious as JimLapon wrote-ups, but I have to agree on the Nocturnal Lights TL-50 extreme. I've had mine for about 4 months - 20 dives.Only one night dive but a lot of low vis diving - can you say Potomac River in March and April? Light has been great. besides echoing jimLaps enthusiasm, let me add one significant point.

The bulbs

The system using 12V halogen bulbs run overvoltage to 13 something. You can but 20, 35, and 50 watt bulbs with everything from 14 to 40 degree beam widths. Guess where?

Home Depot for $7.00!

By the way, the reason JimLap can mount the canister on his tank is that the light switch is on the light head. I have mine mounted on the top right side of my backplate. And when you turn the switch on, the light comes on then. And if you turn it off right away - no impact.

Great light, but needs a goodman handle. My next DIY project.

I agree ted with the goodman handle. I work in a machine shop and will be working something up fairly soon and will post when I get it together. And the switch on the lighthead is great especially since there is a switch lock that is easily engaged and disengaged even with dry gloves on.

Hey thanks for the awesome feedback guys! I'd love to see what you guys are able to come up with for the Goodman handle :)

Jim, Tim (or anyone..)
Can you comment on the focus of the beam? I know there are different bulbs available but are the lower angle ones adequate for signalling or do they tend to light up an entire area.

Also...how much does overdriving the bulb affect the life? What seems to be an average life span of a bulb?

I have been looking at HIDs and older halogens...but the nocturnals are definitely interesting.

John the light head is not focusable. The tightness of the beam is determined by the bulb. The 50w 60 degree light up everything! I've only tried the 20w 4700 so far besides the 50 and it has a wide beam also but not as wide as the 50. But perhaps it's because of the 4700 temp it has a center cone that cuts like a laser through murk and to me is very effective for signaling. As far as bulb life have not had it out enough to burn one out yet but at what they cost who cares. for what one HID bulb costs I can get 15 or more halogens in many configuration of wattage and focus. This is why I got this light. I can also easily change bulbs between dives by just drying it and relubing the rings. Total time about 5 minutes. Unless you need a focusable head for which you are going to pay out the nose as compared to these you can't go wrong with a nocturnal product. I see this light lasting me a long long time and since I have no cave aspirations if anything happens I'll buy another. And the way this is built, if i want to upgrade I'll wait for Tim to come out with another model.

Thanks Jim!

Hey guys sorry for the late response, last time I tried to respond there was a database error. The lights are not focusable but you can change out different bulbs and add a diffuser to make the beam even wider. You can actaully see all the different beam angles on this page:

http://www.nocturnallights.com/inde...4&category_id=15&option=com_phpshop&itemid=38

As far as the bulb life with the overvolted batteries, it cuts it significantly but the MR16 bulbs are made to burn 3000+ hours, so even at 1/2 the bulb life you're going to have 1500 hours to play with. We have yet to burn one out ourselves :) Also, you'll be pleased to know that you can find replacement bulbs from your hardware store for $3-6 a piece.

Let me know if you guys have any other questions.

Tim

Back
Top Bottom