No Fly Times

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sas

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I know the standard no fly time recommended is about 24hours, though have read some threads in the past by people who say this is too conservative a time frame as well as some studies posted but cannot locate at the moment. For example, I found http://scuba-doc.com/flyngaft.htm this website online which has much less conservative guidelines. I know my computer usually gives very little no fly time after shallow (<18m/60ft) NDL dives, which I have ignored and just followed the DAN recommendations. I am just curious what actual data there is around the safety of flying after diving and how long people are comfortable waiting before flying.

Just asking as I have a lot of business travel at the moment so finding it difficult to fit in dives. There are a lot of options to dive locally that are in less than 10m/33ft of water for example, so wondering if they are a reasonable option to do a few hours before flying. Not really interested in pushing things but then I don't want to be sitting around all day not diving if the risk is negligible.

Reactions: Jax
If you'll do a multiple dive you'll need to wait 18-24 hours. If you do a shallow dive 5-7m for about 30-40 minutes similar to a DSD you should be ok to fly 3 three hours after the dive. Non multiple dives. It's better to be safe than sorry. follow give guide lines and SI stick within flying guidelines and enjoy even a shallow dive. Better than nothing.

Have fun diving and enjoy!!!

Personally, I use the NOAA tables and their published charts for safe time to ascend to 8000 ft as a minimum for standard airline flight (airlines pressurize to ~8000ft). It takes a few minutes but will give you a better picture of your risk rather than a blanket 18 or 24 hour count down.

My computers are Oceanic (Pelagic) and use a standard 24 hour count down regardless of a 20ft dive for 20 minutes or multiple dives right down to the NDL limits. Using the NOAA tables I do sometimes clip the 24 hours down s bit to allow a flight home the next day

If you do a shallow dive 5-7m for about 30-40 minutes similar to a DSD you should be ok to fly 3 three hours after the dive.

Can you provide a reference or an agency that advocates this practice?

I pay attention to my Suunto, which counts down from the greater of 12 hours or total desaturation time. But my travel plans almost always have 24 hours built in between the last dive and the first flight, because my plans usually include repetitive diving.

The current DAN and PADI recommendations are to wait for 12 hours after a single dive, 18 hours after repetitive dives, and longer than that (unspecified) after decompression dives. There is no restriction if your gain in altitude is 2,000 feet or less. Since airplanes are pressurized to about 7-8,000 feet, you can fly out of a place like Denver with less of a concern. Similarly, if you take a low altitude flight (say from Saba to Ste. Maarten), you are OK.

As I understand it, the original 24 hour rule was nothing more than a guess--there was no research available to support any rule at all.

This is not advice to you, but I usually like to get around 6 hours time before flying, which realistically isn't that hard by the time you add in packing gear, driving to the airport, security etc etc.

I've done it multiple times, including after 2 days diving to 150 and then 80-100 foot as a second dive on both days, so far with no noticeable effects. i also made my fiance do it, and she's still alive too.

Many people will disagree with me, but I don't really care that much.

Nick, I'm with you. And I know, for example, that last year's PNW DYFO crew got off the boat and drove to the airport, after three days of four dives a day, some of them moderately deep recreational dives. I'm too liability averse to recommend that anyone else do that, but I do it, and my friends do it (including you guys!)

I have heard it said that if you get bent on an airplane, you were bent before you got on, which makes a lot of sense to me.

I remember reading an account of some research on time to fly, which indicated that technical divers could use SHORTER times to fly than recreational divers -- which has always made me wonder if the problem with flying after diving for a lot of folks is a combination of diving the wrong gas and using poor ascent procedures.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom