No Excuse For Poor Trim

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jill Heinerth

RebreatherPro
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
No Excuses for Poor Trim

Everyone gains a little bulk when diving a rebreather, but it is no excuse for poor trim. Stage bottles can still be carried cleanly, but the technique for carrying them varies from traditional open circuit scuba gear.

With over-shoulder counterlungs, the chest d-ring can be difficult to get to. Even if you are able to clip in that location, the bottle may interfere with ADV operation, dump valves, etc. A technique borrowed from sidemount diving helps the diver get the bottle into a streamlined path. It makes the bailout regulator easier to find and gives the diver good trim. (Click here to see my tech tips video on this topic.)

The bottom of the bottle can be clipped into a “butt-plate” manufactured by Dive Rite (Nomad) or Golem Gear (Amardillo). Golem Gear also carries a double d-ring that slides on the crotch strap and can operated in a similar fashion. The top end of the tank is slung under a bungee cord instead of clipped. The bungee attaches to the back-plate at about shoulder blade level and the front of the bungee is clipped to the chest d-ring. The clips on the stage bottle should be installed 180 degrees away from the tank valve hand-wheel so that the bungee will slide easily over the hand-wheel.

When the bottle is properly hung, it will ride lower than a traditional stage bottle with the valve tucking easily under the armpit of the diver. The tank should run parallel to the diver’s side in good trim. Tanks are quicker to remove and replace. Regulators are easier to access. Swimming trim is improved and the environment is protected from unnecessary damage.--Jill

More tech tips, videos, and other good rebreather resources at www.RebreatherPro.com

Attachments

• backJEH3754w.jpg
    backJEH3754w.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 74
Thank you for the tip. I am in no way ready for a rebreather (my LDS hang out is a tech. shop but I am just a beginner in the world of diving) but I did purchase a 19ft. pony bottle and have been trying different ways to mount it. The guys I dive with have rebreathers and have loads of tanks surrounding them but I just wanted to place the tank out of the way (more stream line). This video gave me a suggestion that I will follow up and try to locate the bungee from my LDS. I am just beginning to use a camera (just a mini reefmaster and strobe but it is paid for) and don't need too much more surrounding me. Again thanks and I have bookmarked your site to look for more information.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom