No diving today....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mi000ke

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Thanks to Eta.

Storm arrived a couple of hours ago and is supposed to peak over the next few hours. Winds should stay below 60 mph if all goes well (and when does that ever happen). We have 5 palm trees down on our property so far. This will make the third week of no diving but hopefully the last of the storm season.

I was in the Dominican Republic for Irma and Maria, and I noticed that huge amounts of sargassum washed ashore within a couple of days after each storm. How long does it take for churned up sediment, debris, etc., to clear before visibility becomes suitable for diving again?

Thanks to Eta.

Storm arrived a couple of hours ago and is supposed to peak over the next few hours. Winds should stay below 60 mph if all goes well (and when does that ever happen). We have 5 palm trees down on our property so far. This will make the third week of no diving but hopefully the last of the storm season.

Mmm. Living in a dive paradise and not being able to dive. Now what circle of Dante’s Hell is that? Glad to hear that everyone is safe.

I was in the Dominican Republic for Irma and Maria, and I noticed that huge amounts of sargassum washed ashore within a couple of days after each storm. How long does it take for churned up sediment, debris, etc., to clear before visibility becomes suitable for diving again?

Fortunately we don’t get too much sargassum on the west side here and between public works and the private condos and hotels it gets removed pretty quickly when it does wash up.

As to silt and churn, a few days of calm seas seems to work - but it seems like we haven’t had a few calm days in a row this season.

Mmm. Living in a dive paradise and not being able to dive. Now what circle of Dante’s Hell is that? Glad to hear that everyone is safe.

I’d say the first circle, Limbo, where the damned are forced to live in a deficient form of Heaven (per the writer Dorothy Sayers). Seems to fit.

The key metaphysical question regarding Limbo though is, “How low can you go? (Per the singer Chubby Checker) . The good news is that limbo is about as low as you can go in the Caymans. We be limbo, we be quick, we go under limbo stick. But we still can’t dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom