No coral around Chicken island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

darsunt

Registered
Reaction score
During an island tour (poda, chicken, tup islands) we did check out the water even though I heard there wasn't much to see. Actually there were enough fish (although sparse) and clams to make it worth seeing. As we were told there was no coral or sponges, only growth everywhere that looked somewhat like spinach.
I suspect these waters had good reefs at one point in the past, is this true? Is the present state of the environment due to massive overuse? We went in green season and even then it was crowded.

Dive centers in Ao Nang and Krabi hardly ever go diving at Chicken islands due to the lack of corals. The Ao Nang area has some really good dive sites, which are often overseen by the average dive center in Thailand .
Koh See, Koh Haa, Koh Talu and Koh Yawasam are the most popular and gives you plenty of options, to discover a wide range of corals and marine life found in these waters. As there is not beaches at these islands, you normally don't see snorkelers around and the divers have the area to themself. The local islands just outside Ao Nang are also within the national park and therefore fishing is not allowed.

In my 3 years diving around Ao Nang I have see everything from sharks, turtles and Giant Groupers to seas horses, ghost pipefish and frog fish. Even Manta Rays and Whale Sharks have been spotted. Another addition is the new wrecks which were sunk in these shallow waters and has has become more and more popular with divers visiting this scenic area.

Was the island tour run by one of the island tour/snorkel/island bbq outfit if so there is your answer...they seems to actively discourage divers because their business is in snorkelling trips. There is plenty to see around the local islands Koh See etc. Poda island is just an interesting shaped bit of rock sticking out the ocean.

I don't mind there were no corals. Kon Tiki dive shop told me that. The tour was mainly for my wife to see Poda, Tup, etc.
What I'm curious is if in the past there were good corals around Chicken. Maybe 30 years ago? The area looks like it could recover quickly if left alone, although that will never happen.

Back
Top Bottom