no clips???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mako Mark

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Tired of those pesky rental bcd's with no clips for the SPG or Octo??

dive store owners hate buying them as they break and get lost etc etc.

Here is the solution.

317579016djRvGI_ph.jpg

Have experimented with that here but found different flexibility hoses, different strength shoulder loops (some actually are velcro) and its a royal pain in the ar*e to restow the octopus after use, especially in a restrictive dry suit.
You use octo to inflate the DSMB then spend ages trying to restow the octo often with one hand.

Another option is to buy a cheap £2 hose holder or octo holder that can clip on a D-ring and take it with you on your travels.

Nice Mark... I've used the one you have displayed for the gauges when I have divers with "floaties", but I'm not exactly clear on how you have the octo. Is it in velcro?

BaitedStorm the octo is actually in a little pocket that appears on a large proportion of rental type BCD's, there are exceptions where you cant stuff the hose, but mares, Aqualung and many other common brands yes. In the event that there is no little pocket above the shoulder clip, you can put the hose through the pull d-ring, but it is ugly, harder to pull out, and I reckon it could damage the hose where thoe one I posted doesnt have any of those problems.

String, you are right of course, but no matter what the clip for the octo, it is a pain in the arse trying to do it one handed while launching a bag or bouy in a restrictive drysuit. I would focus on the bouy launch, wait until the bouy reaches the surface to stow it. OTOH someone doing it one handed while launching a bag or bouy in a restrictive drysuit would be unlikely to have a rental bcd or lack simple accessories like clips, thats why I posted in the BSD forum. :wink:

I use just a plain old rubber snorkel keeper. theyre a dime a dozen and you dont need a clip. you just loop it through itself around a d-ring or something and pass the mouthpiece of the octo through the open eye of the keeper. they stretch quite a bit.

mxracer19:
I use just a plain old rubber snorkel keeper.
Cheap, lightweight, and effective. I keep a couple extra snorkel keepers in my save-a-dive kit and frequently pass them out to divers in rental gear on boats in resort areas.

Rental gear often also omits the compass. If my buddy doesn't have a compass, I just hand him a $2 mini-ball Walmart compass that normally is a zipper pull on my gear bag.

thanks Mark!

I used to do that with the SPG when I had to rent BCDs. I just bought a BP/W so I am trying to figure out how to attach rental regulator hoses. I thought of attaching a bolt snap to the SPG and clipping it to a D-ring; however, I am unsure how I should store the octo hose. I've searched my house for bungie cord but so far I havn't been able to find any. How well does tucking the hose into a waist strap work? I'm thinking the second stage will flop around too much this way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom