NJ Newbie in Wakatobi - Day Four

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Bolter

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So, here’s a little factoid for you…The name Wakatobi is a combination of all the small islands surrounding the resort. Now I know why I couldn’t find the island on any map when I was researching the trip!

WA – Wangi Wangi, KA – Kaledupa, TO – Tomea, BI – Binongko

As I’m writing this I am sitting on the porch of our villa watching the golden sun fall behind the ocean’s horizon. Can you imagine? I’ve got a couple hours of private time since my husband decided to go on our group’s one guided night dive. I was debating the night dive all week but this morning I finally decided to sit it out. Most people here don’t know I’m “The Bolter” and I’d like to keep it that way. Just listening to descriptions of night diving give me the willies. I will do it someday when I’m more comfortable with diving. And I’m sure we’ll be back at Wakatobi in the future so I’ll have another chance (at least that’s what I’m telling myself). I can’t wait for my husband to get back and tell me how it went. Even he looked a little scared. Fortunately for him, he’s taken to scuba like a fish in water.

Our first dive was to a site called “Blade” which has a series of sea mounts and with sand chutes between them. I think they named the site “Blade” because each mount is tall and thin like the blade of a knife. The site was an hour away by boat so we enjoyed the ride and watched the water that was so still it looked like glass. The highlight of this dive was the little orangutan crab which is covered with long red hairs giving them a fuzzy appearance like an orangutan. We saw large schools of yellow-tailed fusiliers, banner fish and angelfish.

I wasted about five minutes of the dive trying to identify a particular fish that was out in the blue about six feet away from me. It was black, kinda squarish and a little lumpy-looking. I couldn’t make out its eyes, mouth, tail or fins. I didn’t want to get too close so I studied it from a distance and watched it slowly move with the current. I later learned that my mystery fish was, in fact, a trash bag.

The highlight of the second dive was a baby lionfish, only two inches long. None of the photographers were willing to get too close to him because, although he’s cute, he is a venomous critter. We saw dozens of nudibranches in a variety of colors and hundreds of beautiful batfish (the site is called “Batfish Wall”). My dive instructor also pointed out a tiny purple fish and wrote on her slate, “Remember.” The fish, which was about 1” long, was doing a jerky dance back-and-forth in a little sandy area in front of his hole. My dive instructor later told me he’s a cleaner fish and what he was doing was advertising to all the fish that he was open for business. After about 15 seconds of this flitting/jerky dance a butterfly fish pulled in and the cleaner got to work. It reminded me of a car wash.

One of our fellow divers has a small resin Travelocity gnome she brings everywhere with her. She takes pictures of him at all her travel destinations and Wakatobi was no exception. There was much debate as to whether the gnome was water-tight and would implode if she took it on a dive with her. The consensus was that the gnome was solid and could safely make the trip. So, the diver bungied the gnome to her shoulder and took him diving. Once underwater they set him in the sand (wedged between rocks) and took pictures of him as fish passed by. I can’t wait to see the pictures. One sad note: apparently some water got logged in the gnome and we’re going to discuss the situation at dinner to devise a plan to save the gnome.

Today was our last full day of diving. Tomorrow we will only be doing one dive in the morning and then we have to do land activities until our flight leaves the following morning at 7:00 am. As I’m sure you all know, we need enough time to off-gas the nitrogen in our bodies before we expose them to the altitude pressure of flying. Instead of diving, the resort has offered to take us on a tour of the local village. Many of the employees at Wakatobi live on the island and they like to show you their world. The walk is a little over a mile which is no problem physically; it’s just the south-of-the-equator sun and heat that are considerations. We were asked to not wear tank tops or bathing suits on the tour. It’s disrespectful to show your shoulders and your thighs in many parts of Indonesia. One of the guides said, “We just ask that you respect the people of the island.”

So, in between our morning dives and the night dive we decided to do a shore dive on the house reef in the afternoon. You can either enter from the shore or the staff will take you out in a taxi boat. We decided to enter from the shore so I could avoid having to do the seated entry from the taxi boat (I’ve had enough adventure for the week!). So, after we geared up we watched the water and figured out the current was going from left to right. Right in front of the long house is a 100 yard stretch of the reef with a gully on each end. So, if the current is going left to right you enter by the gully on the left and let the current take you to along the reef and then you cut in at the gully on the right to exit the water. There is much less current in the gullies so this is very easy to do. If you miss the gully who knows where the current will take you (although the staff do police the area in taxi boats and you are required to bring a safety sausage in case of emergencies). Anyway…

We entered near the left gully and descended to about 35 feet. The current, however, was not going left-to-right. It was going right-to-left. At first it wasn’t so bad and we could easily swim against it but then it became more difficult so we decided to turn around and just play in the shallow water above the sea grass which was interesting but not what we were planning. When we got out of the water I asked my dive instructor how you know which way the current is moving. She said, “You ask someone very knowledgeable from the staff. It’s very difficult to tell just from looking out unless you know what you’re doing.” Then it clicked. I thought, “Oh, that’s why the dive guide jumps in the water to check the currents before they signal their groups to jump in.” Obviously I’m not the sharpest tool in the shed!!!

Later that night at dinner one of the dive guides working with a separate group asked us how our dive went. He said he saw us out there struggling and then giving up. It was a little embarrassing. I’m sure half the staff were watching us and laughing. But, I’ll bet they’ve got even better stories about stupid things the guests do….

Another fine report.

Your writing style is good - very enjoyable to read. Nice humor. Maybe you shoud be a diving journalist?

Thanks. I certainly feel like a whole new world has opened up for me. Who knows where the road may lead....

The Bolter:
I wasted about five minutes of the dive trying to identify a particular fish that was out in the blue about six feet away from me. It was black, kinda squarish and a little lumpy-looking. I couldn’t make out its eyes, mouth, tail or fins. I didn’t want to get too close so I studied it from a distance and watched it slowly move with the current. I later learned that my mystery fish was, in fact, a trash bag.
Oh my God that's hysterical and I give you credit for admitting it!!! :D :rofl3:

The Bolter:
So, here’s a little factoid for you…The name Wakatobi is a combination of all the small islands surrounding the resort. Now I know why I couldn’t find the island on any map when I was researching the trip!

WA – Wangi Wangi, KA – Kaledupa, TO – Tomea, BI – Binongko

As I’m writing this I am sitting on the porch of our villa watching the golden sun fall behind the ocean’s horizon. Can you imagine? I’ve got a couple hours of private time since my husband decided to go on our group’s one guided night dive. I was debating the night dive all week but this morning I finally decided to sit it out. Most people here don’t know I’m “The Bolter” and I’d like to keep it that way. Just listening to descriptions of night diving give me the willies. I will do it someday when I’m more comfortable with diving. And I’m sure we’ll be back at Wakatobi in the future so I’ll have another chance (at least that’s what I’m telling myself). I can’t wait for my husband to get back and tell me how it went. Even he looked a little scared. Fortunately for him, he’s taken to scuba like a fish in water.

Our first dive was to a site called “Blade” which has a series of sea mounts and with sand chutes between them. I think they named the site “Blade” because each mount is tall and thin like the blade of a knife. The site was an hour away by boat so we enjoyed the ride and watched the water that was so still it looked like glass. The highlight of this dive was the little orangutan crab which is covered with long red hairs giving them a fuzzy appearance like an orangutan. We saw large schools of yellow-tailed fusiliers, banner fish and angelfish.

The highlight of the second dive was a baby lionfish, only two inches long. None of the photographers were willing to get too close to him because, although he’s cute, he is a venomous critter. We saw dozens of nudibranches in a variety of colors and hundreds of beautiful batfish (the site is called “Batfish Wall”). My dive instructor also pointed out a tiny purple fish and wrote on her slate, “Remember.” The fish, which was about 1” long, was doing a jerky dance back-and-forth in a little sandy area in front of his hole. My dive instructor later told me he’s a cleaner fish and what he was doing was advertising to all the fish that he was open for business. After about 15 seconds of this flitting/jerky dance a butterfly fish pulled in and the cleaner got to work. It reminded me of a car wash.

One of our fellow divers has a small resin Travelocity gnome she brings everywhere with her. She takes pictures of him at all her travel destinations and Wakatobi was no exception. There was much debate as to whether the gnome was water-tight and would implode if she took it on a dive with her. The consensus was that the gnome was solid and could safely make the trip. So, the diver bungied the gnome to her shoulder and took him diving. Once underwater they set him in the sand (wedged between rocks) and took pictures of him as fish passed by. I can’t wait to see the pictures. One sad note: apparently some water got logged in the gnome and we’re going to discuss the situation at dinner to devise a plan to save the gnome.

Today was our last full day of diving. Tomorrow we will only be doing one dive in the morning and then we have to do land activities until our flight leaves the following morning at 7:00 am. As I’m sure you all know, we need enough time to off-gas the nitrogen in our bodies before we expose them to the altitude pressure of flying. Instead of diving, the resort has offered to take us on a tour of the local village. Many of the employees at Wakatobi live on the island and they like to show you their world. The walk is a little over a mile which is no problem physically; it’s just the south-of-the-equator sun and heat that are considerations. We were asked to not wear tank tops or bathing suits on the tour. It’s disrespectful to show your shoulders and your thighs in many parts of Indonesia. One of the guides said, “We just ask that you respect the people of the island.”

So, in between our morning dives and the night dive we decided to do a shore dive on the house reef in the afternoon. You can either enter from the shore or the staff will take you out in a taxi boat. We decided to enter from the shore so I could avoid having to do the seated entry from the taxi boat (I’ve had enough adventure for the week!). So, after we geared up we watched the water and figured out the current was going from left to right. Right in front of the long house is a 100 yard stretch of the reef with a gully on each end. So, if the current is going left to right you enter by the gully on the left and let the current take you to along the reef and then you cut in at the gully on the right to exit the water. There is much less current in the gullies so this is very easy to do. If you miss the gully who knows where the current will take you (although the staff do police the area in taxi boats and you are required to bring a safety sausage in case of emergencies). Anyway…

We entered near the left gully and descended to about 35 feet. The current, however, was not going left-to-right. It was going right-to-left. At first it wasn’t so bad and we could easily swim against it but then it became more difficult so we decided to turn around and just play in the shallow water above the sea grass which was interesting but not what we were planning. When we got out of the water I asked my dive instructor how you know which way the current is moving. She said, “You ask someone very knowledgeable from the staff. It’s very difficult to tell just from looking out unless you know what you’re doing.” Then it clicked. I thought, “Oh, that’s why the dive guide jumps in the water to check the currents before they signal their groups to jump in.” Obviously I’m not the sharpest tool in the shed!!!

Later that night at dinner one of the dive guides working with a separate group asked us how our dive went. He said he saw us out there struggling and then giving up. It was a little embarrassing. I’m sure half the staff were watching us and laughing. But, I’ll bet they’ve got even better stories about stupid things the guests do….

Sorry to hear you are going home, I looked forward to your reports every day. I will miss them

Another excellent Read...I'm a few days behind gotta read day 5 now.

Back
Top Bottom